Anyone guess what these are?

manders

I thought they were going to be tadpoles you'd found in a purp or summat !.

I've always loved tropical/ tree frogs, 've heard they can be noisy at night though?.

i used to keep reptiles and the crickets I bought for food could drive me mad at night !.

18 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

I thought they were going to be tadpoles you'd found in a purp or summat !.

I've always loved tropical/ tree frogs, 've heard they can be noisy at night though?.

i used to keep reptiles and the crickets I bought for food could drive me mad at night !.

These are in the greenhouse, actually the noise is quite pleasent and theyre usually chirping away during the day, makes it sound like a real jungle!  Eurpoean and other tree frogs can be very noisy but these guys are ok.

6 minutes ago, bigphil1984 said:

The poison must need extracted from a dead frog I guess?

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

No, the poison is on the skin of the live frogs, but it comes from the food they eat, so in captivity they are not poisonous (different food).

3 hours ago, manders said:

These are in the greenhouse, actually the noise is quite pleasent and theyre usually chirping away during the day, makes it sound like a real jungle!  Eurpoean and other tree frogs can be very noisy but these guys are ok.

Are they loose in the greenhouse? Or have you some sort of enclosure?.

What do you do through winter mate? 

10 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

Are they loose in the greenhouse? Or have you some sort of enclosure?.

What do you do through winter mate? 

They are in a terrarium, my original plan was let them loose but i bottled out.  Greenhouse is heated to min 15C in winter.  Bigger problem was summer day temps, dart frogs don't like going much above 30C, it will probably kill them.  But down near the floor it rarely gets above ~27C.  So far they've been from 15C to 29C and its not been a problem, in fact the little buggers are at it again today, probably be more eggs when i go and have a look.  I chose Epidobates anthonyi as they should be able to cope with the temperature range, other dart frogs probably not.

I'm thinking of making a larger enclosure long term, but needs thinking about, they're good climbers/jumpers...  I have a concrete floor, which can be very dry, so letting them loose probably wouldn't work too well.

Are you keeping them together with carnivorous plants?

On 29-8-2017 at 0:11 AM, picol said:

Do you know that now almost everyone is interested in every development? Me in head obviously.

I also have poison dart frogs and have made a photo series documenting the egg development of my first batch in detail. The eggs were laid beginning of july and the tadpoles are now developing legs.

Sorry to hijack the post manders ;)

2-3 hours after fertilisation, 8-cell stadium:
2me1qmt.jpg
2dca42o.jpg

One egg already a bit further in early morula stadium, the cell in the middle is busy dividing
23mu2b7.jpg

12-13 hours after fertilisation, blastula stadium:
10sb4ug.jpg
xky4g6.jpg

2 days old, early gastrulation:
23h7f4w.jpg
14j2n8k.jpg

2,5 days old, gastrulation with yolk plug visible on the underside:
14e04zq.jpg
2yvoy01.jpg

3 days old, end of gastrulation, formation of the primitive streak and primitive node:
ftlkl5.jpg

4 days old, neurulation with formation of the neural groove:
4qsui9.jpg
33ufhv8.jpg

6 days old, formation of the gills:
14tvqfk.jpg

7 days old:
sovbcn.jpg

10 days old, lots of movement:
2mngflw.jpg

They hatched at 15 days old

Edited by Johanovich
  • Thanks 1

Hi Johanovitch,

no problem hijacking the thread, its interesting to see.  What kind are they?  Yes, mine are in the greenhouse with mostly Nepenthes, although they are in a terrarium so not runnng around loose among the plants.  Were are you keeping yours?

My first tadpoles have just hatched, hoping i can keep them alive!

Hi Manders,

They are Dendrobates auratus (highland bronze). I keep them in a terrarium together with some of my highland Nepenthes. It seemed like an ideal way to combine hobbies :)

Do you have some pictures of your frogs?

Here is the father of the eggs sitting on a young eddy

34q2r9w.jpg

And the mother on her favourite bromeliad

2hrmr0k.jpg

They don't mind the pitcher plants (or the cold at night). Only interaction I've seen so far is that they steal the occasional prey out of shallow pitchers (like jamban). I've got two more egg clutches developing right now and the first tadpole of those hatched yesterday. I am wondering if the tadpoles would survive in the pitchers but don't want to take the risk of killing them by throwing them in.

What are you feeding your tadpoles?

Edited by Johanovich
  • Like 1