linuxman

Drosophyllum progress

Since I planted my drosophyllum seedling the weather has been terrible, so I think it's only just got established. Hopefully the sun over the next few weeks will do it some good. Anyway here's a photo of how it was today.

large.drosophyllum.JPG.8e167016370789bb5

• Like 2

Is that the one I sent you? It looks healthy but maybe some more water might get it to put some size on.

5 hours ago, danl82 said:

Is that the one I sent you? It looks healthy but maybe some more water might get it to put some size on.

Yep, that's the one. It's outside and had all the rain we've been getting so I've not watered it much. Now the sun is shining I'll give it some more.

I have to admit I've had to top up water my ones outside. The multiple leaves unfurling is a good sign and they look nice and dewy too.

I'm left my seedlings outside so far (on a recommendation) - one died but rest still looking good.  Anyone with advice on how to get through the winter?  Have grown a number of times from seed but never managed to keep more than a year or two!

Edited by Dunc

7 hours ago, Dunc said:

I'm left my seedlings outside so far (or a recommendation) - one died but rest still looking good.  Anyone with advice on how to get through the winter?  Have grown a number of times from seed but never managed to keep more than a year or two!

I've brought mine into the g/h now and last time I looked it was still doing OK.

My oldest ones are growing since winter 2014/15 and always water in the tray. It’s the natural rainy season. With keeping them on the dry side they usually die after the first flowering season.

Mine flower three to four times a year with no ill effect. One pot even survived repotting this spring.

The water in the tray has sometimes ice on top in the winter.

http://sarracenia.proboards.com/thread/608/drosophyllum-lusitanicum-dewy-pine

My largest plant had iced up leaves the other morning and the soil was frozen solid. But once the sun came up it defrosted and was dewy. The exposure in my garden has recently changed a bit as a neighbour has removed a large tree, so whilst I am confident that they would be fine with a bit of frost, I wasnt so keen on the frozen soil(that was new for my garden). So at the moment I just move a couple into the garage overnight, just to be on the safe side. 

They were still catching insects right up until last week, probably still would if there were any around to be had. I'm really pleased that your plants are both okay. 

On the balance of things these are my favourite cp's. They are really good at catching food and they do it without spoiling their looks like sarra's do. They also have a wonderful honey scent to the whole plant. Too cold to smell it now but was noticeable near mine even in november.

Well, this is what my looks like today. It seems to be surviving the frosts OK at the moment. As you can probably tell it's in the greenhouse now which hopefully will help.

large_dros.JPG.82c3650cbef800c3da52446a2

It's dewy :yes: thats the best sign. Should be ready for some speedy growth in the spring.

The drosophyllum has survived the winter and it's now outside. Not very good photos I'm afraid but you can see it's already catching prey.

large.dros2018_1.JPG.fa6e5815365748eeae4

large.dros2018_2.JPG.c4ccc1bc88eb4ee4b0c

Looks good, my outdoors one survived entire winter outside except for one night where we had a very hard frost (spent that night in the garage). Starting catching too but only just starting to show signs of growth.