bigphil1984

My sphagnum moss project.

Hi guys, I know I've already done a thread in this topic, but since its more about other things than just growing sphagnum. I thought I'd start a new thread, about me growing my moss and how it's progressing so here go's!

This pic was the day I started my first tub off, layered on top of thrive carnivorous compost mix!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

And this tray of sphagnum I started a couple of days ago, this sphagnum was layered on top of pure Irish sphagnum peat moss. I'll upload some more pics of this one when starts to take off.

21st August 2017bf3aab4d26bd2cb69fd681b0c0503c71.jpg2f10a0c65dbe2a8a60fe0ed482688124.jpg

I've moved my sphagnum to the front instead of at the back, where it was too shaded. And took lids off too, does anyone think it will grow better like this? 342e4bb01006c2981450e448f8f32e5a.jpg

If you can, put it outside in full sun, my preference is keep it very wet as well, but that does depend on which species it actually is.  Some grow very wet, some grow a bit less wet.  

If you can, put it outside in full sun, my preference is keep it very wet as well, but that does depend on which species it actually is.  Some grow very wet, some grow a bit less wet.  
What species do you think it might be?

6 minutes ago, bigphil1984 said:

What species do you think it might be?

I have no idea.

I've found masses of it growing very nicely in dappled woodland shade in the New Forest.

I've found masses of it growing very nicely in dappled woodland shade in the New Forest.
Do you know what type?

Well, I can only give it my best guess unfortunately - S. palustre.

However, if you can make a field trip to the New Forest, there's bogs and sphagnum all over the place. I actually lived to see the lovely patch of Sarracenia purpurea before it was removed by the National Trust, and got to know the location of a patch of VFTs before it was also reportedly removed by the NT.

I saw this particular sphagnum in places either side of the road between Brockenhurst and Roundhill campsite.

Of course, Sphagnum is widespread throughout the UK. You just need water, low nutrient levels, and acid conditions, and there it is (~8

Well, I can only give it my best guess unfortunately - S. palustre.
However, if you can make a field trip to the New Forest, there's bogs and sphagnum all over the place. I actually lived to see the lovely patch of Sarracenia purpurea before it was removed by the National Trust, and got to know the location of a patch of VFTs before it was also reportedly removed by the NT.
I saw this particular sphagnum in places either side of the road between Brockenhurst and Roundhill campsite.
Of course, Sphagnum is widespread throughout the UK. You just need water, low nutrient levels, and acid conditions, and there it is (~8
Think you might be right karsty. Looks very much like palustre. Very nice moss

You probably need a microscope to make a difference between S. palustre and for example S. papillosum, although you can determine to the level of section with just a 10x magnifier.