pinguicula problem

jasperD

Hello,

Last year I've bought a ping 'Tina'. The plant grew very well and had a lot of flowers. Around october/november it formed its winter rosette. But this year i took long for the plant to wake up (it was mid june) and the plant grew very slow. Now the plant still grows slow and the rosette is 1/2 smaller without dew. What could be the problem? Hope someone can help me.

Jasper

The plant grows next to a south facing window sill with a bit of shade. It is in a 50/50 peat/perlite mix. The plant gets rain water every 3 or 4 days. I have to measure the humidity yet but I guesse it's around 50%.

When I tried to grow Mexican Pings in the house I found they needed to be covered (such as by a propagator lid) to raise the humidity, otherwise they didn't thrive and had very little dew.  For me the house environment was just too dry.

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

When I tried to grow Mexican Pings in the house I found they needed to be covered (such as by a propagator lid) to raise the humidity, otherwise they didn't thrive and had very little dew.  For me the house environment was just too dry.

Could it help when I put a transparant bag over the plant?

3 hours ago, jasperD said:

Could it help when I put a transparant bag over the plant?

25 minutes ago, carambola said:

If you keep the bag on the pot for the rest of your life, maybe. Otherwise, no.

But maybe covering with a bag temporarily might help ascertain whether humidity is the problem and from there decide what further action to take, e.g. keep in greenhouse/propagator or grow cacti instead. :wink:

4 hours ago, jasperD said:

I can't feed it, the plant doesn't have any dew. Or can you still feed it with a fishfood+water mix like in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu9dtgQZghU

Jasper

I've added 1/4 (quarter) strength orchid grow fertilizer to the water for my Mex Pings on a number of occasions, they've certainly come to no harm and I believe it has given them a boost and produced larger plants.  I believe you can also use this kind of weak feed as a foliar spray on Pings although I haven't tried it myself.  Obviously either of these methods does not depend on the leaves having dew on them.

After I did some research on the web I had the idee that my plant doesn't gets enough light so i moved it to a east facing window sill where it get more light. Tomorrow, I go to the local garden center and look if they have some orchid fertilizer. 

Jasper