J.P.'s journey into Carnivory.

As per my introduction post, I purchased my first plants from Cultivo Carnivores last month. Here I will document their progress, and any additions to the collection.

On 21·07·2017

pi3fj76.jpg

hcGCW0j.jpg

ihErKiw.jpg

They have since all been repotted into larger pots to accommodate the growing season that's fast approaching.

For some reason the D. capensis lost it's red since I got it, but the seller assures me it will return in the summer. It receives plenty of direct unfiltered sunlight daily, and is fed well in the garden.

Currently using distilled water, but will soon start up my RO system again as the watering demands requiring filtered water is increasing every day with seeds being sown and germinated.

On 13·08·2017

jAzdtX5.jpg

2mDUH5m.jpg

55LH6Hz.jpg

Cheers,

J.P.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, werds said:

Drosera capensis red needs to have plenty of directo sun light to turn red... if not it will look like a typical one.

It gets direct full sun from 7:30am till 4:00pm, with a bit of shade/ filtered sun between 11:30am till 1:30pm when the sun is overhead. It's out in the open in the garden. So unless our sun has gone weak, I'm not sure that could be the cause :roll:

Well, this morning I was inspecting the multitude of new leaves coming out of the crown of the Drosera capensis and noticed something strange, alot of hairs on one of them. Upon closer inspection... It's putting up a flower stalk! :biggrin:

Si, I take it my plants must be happy with their current living conditions.

oEZrLah.jpg

A quick update on the Pygmies.

Seems Drosera pulchella wastes no time in forming and shooting up flower stalks. If you listen closely, you can hear them grow! :woot:

There are three plants getting ready to flower now.

mbffLB4.jpg

Nnl7KXZ.jpg

BUUmGv7.jpg

KsK1srh.jpg

5BYip4n.jpg

And last week, a little hitchhiker popped up with a leaf unfurling. Today finally got to ID it as Drosera binata T form. Nice little bonus with the Pot-of-Pygmies :biggrin:

IRUj4o9.jpg

11 hours ago, JuanP said:

Today finally got to ID it as Drosera binata T form. Nice little bonus with the Pot-of-Pygmies :biggrin:

IRUj4o9.jpg

For sure it's a binata, but there's no way to tell the specific kind if the plant is still young, as it only starts to branch out further once it gets bigger, and a lot also depends on the growing conditions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carambola said:

For sure it's a binata, but there's no way to tell the specific kind if the plant is still young, as it only starts to branch out further once it gets bigger, and a lot also depends on the growing conditions.

Well, it can be one of two. Binata T form or Binata multifida, as those are the only the person who sold it to me has growing in her operation.

Only found out she has two types after posting here.

So, now it's another wait to see what it is for sure :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm ecstatic about all these freebies popping up :biggrin:

A quick question for the experienced growers...

A few days ago I noticed a small nub had formed on the lower stem of the Drosera regia. And every day it seems to be larger. Has anyone seen this before on their plants, and is it cause for concern like an infection or something?

xE2DJ8G.jpg

G7dmvHO.jpg

Any advice please, so I can apply treatment before any possible damage to the plant.

• 2 weeks later...

Today received new plants from Peter over at Pan's Carnivores.

Drosera tracyi, Drosera scorpioides, Cephalotus, 3 Pings with bloody long names from his personal collection, and on the house an all green 'kermit' VFT from his personal collection and a wide leaf Drosera capensis.

Took some quick cellphone pics, will pull out the DSLR once they are nicely settled in their new homes.

smgVVDE.jpg

4Sx3afS.jpg

GbcpG61.jpg

CKYHulo.jpg

xJ3gOFa.jpg

CTlKsdu.jpg

1BNgICH.jpg

2IWYB6j.jpg

• Like 1

The pulchella are still flowering along.

At least one flower per day, which starts opening at around 9am and is almost completely closed by 12:30pm.

Today two of them had a flower that bloomed in sync.

Mr Hitchhiker Binata is also making steady progress...

5Ng8qTa.jpg

2NISwo5.jpg

Also have my first successful strikes on capensis leaf cuttings that were first floated in RO water, but moved them to a wet peat bed rather for stability, everything moved all over when I looked for progress every time while in the water container.

Ts5YoJm.jpg

lk6Cjan.jpg

On 8/31/2017 at 11:19 AM, JuanP said:

A quick question for the experienced growers...

A few days ago I noticed a small nub had formed on the lower stem of the Drosera regia. And every day it seems to be larger. Has anyone seen this before on their plants, and is it cause for concern like an infection or something?

Hi Juan,

Lovely plants!

How is the growth doing?

Karsty.

22 hours ago, Karsty said:

Hi Juan,

Lovely plants!

How is the growth doing?

Karsty.

It was identified as an adventitious root which is still steadily budding out. Signs that the plant is maturing.

Spring is now in full swing! D. tracyi, D. capensis wide leaf, D. capensis all red... Everything shooting up flower stalks :woot:

Last count on the red form, the first stalk has around 40 flowers budding, and if nature does it's thing well about 100 seeds per flower, even if only half are viable that's a hell of a lot of new potential plants. And it is busy shooting up a second flower stalk, so who knows how much seedlings may come from this plant :roll:

• Like 1

I ordered some extension tubes from Wish about a month ago, which arrived at the post office yesterday.

Took a few shots using the 55-250 lens, and seems much easier to use than the reverse ring method, and can get a bit more of the subject into the shot.

Well, here are the first trial shots. Will practise a bit more in the coming days.

Kk6hpI2.jpg

c3Ec7me.jpg

Q4IqenP.jpg

XI1wjeK.jpg

0wut6V6.jpg

h0bOK7P.jpg

DTcKgch.jpg

tcNrW6I.jpg

qdcXePq.jpg

1gixhKR.jpg

l1eJZD4.jpg

CCgsCJq.jpg

kjurqNB.jpg

Went to have a look at one of our local nurseries on Tuesday, friendly guy named Jaco of Bizarre Tropicals.

And yep, you guessed it, more plants for the collection! :biggrin:

First off some Orchids.

tGmDglY.jpg

bApAVQ3.jpg

A few new Carnies.

AdTmFDZ.jpg

vE0CmgL.jpg

iWrZKpB.jpg

And while I had the camera out, some snaps of the D. capensis flowering.

raOXY5x.jpg

Beftk51.jpg

• 1 month later...

Another normal day in my strange life...
While inspecting the Drosera pulchella I noticed they look different (I'm a first time pygmy owner, have had them since July though)
After consulting Peter Hewitt , Therese and  Jaco van den Berg turns out they have Gemmae!
That in it's own isn't unusual, right?
Except I'm in Pretoria, South-Africa, and it's the 10th November with Spring being at it's peak...

Kinda strange seeing them with flowers all over and covered in Gemmae too.

V2O4Qcf.jpg

r2O125e.jpg

8RdVWD9.jpg

Edited by JuanP