Repotting with sphagnum moss and ready mixed carnivorous plant compost.

bigphil1984

Hi everyone, I just ordered some nice sphagnum moss. I hope it looks as good as the picture! If you repot can you fill the pot just over half way with compost, then just top it off with the sphagnum, will it grow? And how would you store the sphagnum to keep it fresh after opening? Thanks for your time peeps [emoji6]96e2a03bfbae7c7486ba399aab73413c.jpg

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, JuanP said:

@bigphil1984

Looking at forum posts and Google reviews, Gardman Sphagnum moss seems to be dead as a door nail. They state "live" moss, but it seems to be far from that from reading what people found in the bags.

They do sound to be packed with moisture, which might be why it looks different to normal dried Sphagnum, but chances are still very slim to none for ever getting it to grow again.

It might just be dried Sphagnum moss that's been wetted a bit and repacked? This would mean it was heat treated etc. to get rid of any residual spires and the likes to get the product sterile.

Just my two cents with a bit of Google-Fu knowledge.

Cheers,

J.P.

Perhaps get the smallest bag they have, and try it on its own in a closed transparent container flooded with clean water, to see if anything leeches out color wise (if it was dyed green as suggested) and if possible take a TDS reading of the water it is in to see if any minerals leached out.

It's intended use is to line hanging baskets, so who knows what processes it's been through from harvest to being sold to you.

is this one just for hanging baskets or can I still use it for potting my plants. i was only going to use it on top of my soil mix about 2cm or so deep so it looked like moss on top and hoping it would grow lol. i was even gonna try it in one pot on its own! will it be ok

Do a forum search on "Gardman moss"

It's been brought up a few times it seems, some say steer clear because it has been dyed, others say they use it with no I'll effects.

Can't post a link to the threads, keep getting a weird Malware alert popping up warning me about the forum's securities... :shock:

If youre the patient type, just put some spaghnum peat in a tray, keep it wet and humid, and you will get spaghnum growing, eventually.

otherwise see if you can get some live spaghnum off someone on the forum. 

Most cps dont actually need live spaghnum to do well, peat/perlite is a standard alternative.  

Manders, did spontanuous Sphagnum happen a lot to you? I've been growing CP's in peat for 5 years and would love it is I have some Sphagnum randomly appearing, but so far no luck yet even though there are probably quite a bit of spores in there. 

I once read an article suggesting that Sphagnum spores need some kind of higher nutritional values then the adult plants in order to germinate. Do you use fertilizer by any chance? Maybe that's the reason you got the spontanuous Sphagnum? 

If it's not this, maybe just the brand of peat, or pure luck.

Do a forum search on "Gardman moss"
It's been brought up a few times it seems, some say steer clear because it has been dyed, others say they use it with no I'll effects.
Can't post a link to the threads, keep getting a weird Malware alert popping up warning me about the forum's securities... :shock:
I'll have a look. Thanks [emoji6]

If youre the patient type, just put some spaghnum peat in a tray, keep it wet and humid, and you will get spaghnum growing, eventually.
otherwise see if you can get some live spaghnum off someone on the forum. 
Most cps dont actually need live spaghnum to do well, peat/perlite is a standard alternative.  
Hi manes, I'll try it, cam only try I suppose. Always like to experiment. Lol, you never know it might [emoji38]

45 minutes ago, Koen C. said:

Manders, did spontanuous Sphagnum happen a lot to you? I've been growing CP's in peat for 5 years and would love it is I have some Sphagnum randomly appearing, but so far no luck yet even though there are probably quite a bit of spores in there. 

I once read an article suggesting that Sphagnum spores need some kind of higher nutritional values then the adult plants in order to germinate. Do you use fertilizer by any chance? Maybe that's the reason you got the spontanuous Sphagnum? 

Yes i've had it appear several times and as far as i can tell a few different species.  I do use fertiliser on occasion but this has actually killed some of the spaghnum.  It could be i had some live spagh around and theres been fresh spores floating around the greenhouse, although i think the peat has a lot of spores in it.  Do you get seedlings of any sort coming up in the peat?  I usually get reeds germinating and heathers or ling etc. so the peat is not sterile.

1 hour ago, Koen C. said:

Heres one type that grew, its a very fine and seems to be drier growing than some, this plant used to stood permantly in water which is maybe why the spagh started growing in the first place.  I suspect if you use any type of fertiliser, you will get some other type of non-spagh growing.

35602050743_b6f7db3566_b.jpg

Probably still a good idea to invest in even a cheapy TDS meter, then you can test the water before, rinse the Sphag a few times, then retest the water. At least you will have an indication of how clean it is, and if it's leaching anything?

• Like 1

Probably still a good idea to invest in even a cheapy TDS meter, then you can test the water before, rinse the Sphag a few times, then retest the water. At least you will have an indication of how clean it is, and if it's leaching anything?
I'll definitely get one. Thanks Juan [emoji6]