Hey,

Got my new distiller today, its been on now for about 40 minutes and is supposedly produces about 1 litre an hour stated from the booklet. it also is a lot cheaper than having to buy distilled water as I have been checking the output and it costs about 16p per litre of water in comparison to the nearly £3 that I've been paying per 5 litres. should save me about 20-30p a litre which may not seem like much but considering how often i need water for the plants, it should make the money back on the distiller in no time :)

Just tested the water and PH is picked up at 7.4 meanwhile the PPM test of the water is showing 004ppm. For a piece of equipment that cost £52.99 I do have to say its very good :)

DSC_0114.JPG

JuanP    19

I used to use an RO filter with added resin filter on the final output, which after a 10 minute flush read 0ppm for my marine tanks. Output was also around 200 lites+ a day. If memory serves pH was around 7.4

The unit cost R1500 in 2008, it came as a kit that I had to install myself.

What would be the advantage of a distiller over this? As I'm planning to reinstall it for the carnies with new filter media for the unit.

Cheers.

J.P.

Karsty    4
I used to use an RO filter with added resin filter on the final output, which after a 10 minute flush read 0ppm for my marine tanks. Output was also around 200 lites+ a day. If memory serves pH was around 7.4
The unit cost R1500 in 2008, it came as a kit that I had to install myself.
What would be the advantage of a distiller over this? As I'm planning to reinstall it for the carnies with new filter media for the unit.

Cheers.
J.P.
I bought a distiller just like that years ago, and it is only good for small quantities of water, otherwise definitely go for the RO unit.
I think the distiller took 7 hours to do 4 litres. My RO unit does 5 litres in about half an hour.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Yeah RO mashines are great, ive been using one for years. Id love to get away for it to run the water in to a bigger tank 

JuanP    19
33 minutes ago, Dr. GreenThumb said:

Yeah RO mashines are great, ive been using one for years. Id love to get away for it to run the water in to a bigger tank 

Why can't you?

Mine used to be set up so the purified water went into a 200L container in which I mixed the salt water, and the "waste" was going into another big container which was used as drinking water and irrigation for the normal plants, seeing as the waste had already passed through 3 sets of filter before going to the actual RO membrane.

34 minutes ago, JuanP said:

Why can't you?

Mine used to be set up so the purified water went into a 200L container in which I mixed the salt water, and the "waste" was going into another big container which was used as drinking water and irrigation for the normal plants, seeing as the waste had already passed through 3 sets of filter before going to the actual RO membrane.

I thought the waste was all the crap blown out by the filters...hmm ill have to use my TDS meter to test the waste and see what it reads. Good idea, Yeah i wanted to pipe off the waste so it waters the garden i just need to buy tubing. I have a nice 200 liter container that would be perfect, the problem is how do i stop it filling up and spilling over once its full.

JuanP    19

The main is going through the carbon and particle filters, then to the membrane where the purified water cones out one tube, and the waste containing particles too big for the membrane out the other. Basically the waste is filtered water that has all the chlorine and crap removed, with a few minerals and stuff left in it.

If you want to automate the system, get a float switch that's inside the container being filled, which controls a solenoid on the water supply to the RO unit. As soon as it's full it will cut off, and when it's being emptied the switch will activate the unit to start filtering water again.

Dunc    13

The 'waste' water will be higher tds than the input but is fine for general watering.  I didn't need any RO water today but wanted the ironing bottles filled (tap is 300 tds or so here) so ran for a few hours.  Added tomatoe feed to the waste and fed in the g/h!

David Ahrens    54

I've used a distiller for years. It does me but I don't have a very large collection in the flat.

If you pushed a distiller and set it on three cycles a day, you would produce enough water for a 10 by 6 greenhouse. The problem with rainwater is getting enough, it can be difficult in July and August. RO machines are good but they do waste a lot of water. which can cost you if you are on a meter.

David Ahrens    54

Incidently, a good tip with a distiller is to run it on a timer so that the power cuts off when it has half an inch left in the bucket part. If you let it run till the end of the cycle so it boils dry, it can get a bit crusty and difficult to clean out.