My first attempt at vft sowing.

Steve Werzal Miller

Thanks blocky, they are sheltered from the sun in the green house. But they do get light. I'm just worried about it getting too cold at night. I think night time temps are about 12 - 14c

We don't get much sun here to be honest. It's gonna be summer soon though, someone told me it's going to be on a Tuesday this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Blocky71 said:

I think that's the rule Trev, any covering over the pot, as far as planting in peat is concerned anyhow, needs an air gap between pot and cover. 

As said , I had no issues on the sphagnum, even with the pot ' sealed' with cling film.

The clear pot I used had no drainage so I hardly had to add any water either until I had completely removed it. It just made things much less hassle, I'll be trying some ceph seeds later this year when they're ripe.

I use an old kitchen sieve to sieve the peat for the surface of my seed trays, then I firm it down with a flat block of wood to get a nice flat even surface to sow the seeds on. If I could get that with Sphagnum I'd use it every time, as Sphagnum is a natural anti-fungal. They apparently used to use it to pack wounds to stop infection.

On 01/08/2017 at 11:59 PM, Trev said:

I use an old kitchen sieve to sieve the peat for the surface of my seed trays, then I firm it down with a flat block of wood to get a nice flat even surface to sow the seeds on. If I could get that with Sphagnum I'd use it every time, as Sphagnum is a natural anti-fungal. They apparently used to use it to pack wounds to stop infection.

Have you tried blitzing the live sphagnum to a fine milled pulp? This might allow you to compress it into a relatively flat and firm surface. Not sure how quickly it'd regrow it's fronds and start pushing up though - perhaps I should experiment with this and see how it goes.

2 hours ago, gardenofeden said:

I've heard that microwaving compost can make mould problems worse!

I don't do it that regularly, just as a means of ' control ' , mainly on seeds I need to keep covered ( due to the elements) or on anything I expect to take time to germinate. 

I tried some ' mikes super fast ceph seeds'  last year. Although I had no joy with germination the pot remains moss and weed free and is now housing a hummer...

In my experience microwaving works, it's certainly never ' promoted' mould. 

On 01/08/2017 at 11:59 PM, Trev said:

I was gonna suggest what Stu said too Trev, maybe after shredding you'd get a flatter surface?.

I'm pretty sure it was close to a hundred percent germination with seeds just scattered on to a clump of sphagnum pushed in a pot. As long as the sphagnum remains sodden it tends to stay fairly flat.