queensland sundew

ham

Hello, i am currently growing d. andromeda and prolifera. I know they like high humidity and cooler temperature. But it is hard to achieve both conditions at the same time...The plants are currently being kept in a bag for higher humidity but the problem is that the bag also makes the temperature warm for them...The temperature of my country during the day varies from28 to 32 during the day and humidity is usually over 70%. During the night the temperature drops to around 25-21 degree celcius as i have my air-conditioner. I can only upload a picture of d. andromeda as it doesnt allow me to upload anymore pictures...

d. andromeda.jpeg

Any idea how do i keep the temperature low and also a higher humidity? The drosera andromeda i realised has received too much lighed from my 32 watt led so i moved it away from the light as well as my d. prolifera. 

I am growing both species.

I keep all my Queensland drosera in a plastic mini terrarium  in the darker areas of the windowsill (the window is facing eastwards). The humidity is always around 80-100%. Temperatures normally below 30°C. A drop of the temperature during the night into the low 20s seems to be appreciated. 

My D. prolifera is currently struggling and looking quit bad. It didnt cope well with the recent heat wave we had in England. 

D. x andromeda looks very healthy and seems to be doing alright despite the high-ish temperatures.

I also acquired a D. schizandra recently which is still looking very good, but I could do without higher temperatures for the rest of the summer.

First of all i would punch some holes in the plastic bag so heat can escape. You should also consider putting them in a larger container (maybe an old cucumber jar? or a small terrarium?) and place them in a darker area on your windowsill so they dont get too much sun.

Cheers and good luck,

Anton

• Like 1

My D. andromeda is currently growing ok. It is the first time I've grown it. I live in the UK (East Anglia) and have it on a windowsill that doesn't get any direct sunlight. It is under fluorescent tubes and the temperature range has been 20C-28C during the recent hot spell. It seems a bit more hardy than D schizandra. But just in case I took leaf cuttings as soon as I got it. You can see some sprouts in the bottom left hand side of the photo. They appears easy to propagate by leaf cuttings. I've potted it in peat/sand/perlite  (40/40/20) mix.

If I can keep it alive for another season I might try my hand at D. schizandra (again).

Mark 

IMG_3600.JPG

nice...what is the humidity range you are keeping yours at? The plant isnt dying but it isnt doing much too...Im not sure if its because of the lighting. Does it like a lot of light or prefer less light? I placed the plant at a area where only one led light is shining at it.

I've got mine under a dome so the humidity is pretty much 100% and under bright lights (the same lights I grow heliamphora). It did go into decline a few months ago. The leaves got smaller and smaller. So I repotted it and it recovered. You might want to take some cuttings and perhaps try repotting it.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Edited by nicmanism
I wanted to add a bit more info

Oh i see..im keeping mine in a pot wrap then covered with saran wrap but it does get pretty hot when covered though..and also i repotted the plant 3times already in sphagnum moss perlite mix. I'll try to grow it closer to the light though, its currently getting little light. Thanks for the help too!

The plant died :( After i left it in my mother's house for a week, it reduced to only growth points and i moved it directly below the lights and it just burnt out and died. Is there any chance of this plant growing back from roots? 

Been growing Prolifera since winter last year. My conditions in the shed are not ideal in for them especially that temps can reach up to 38c sometimes when it's been a heat wave over here in the UK. To keep mine alive I have a high water level like half way up the pot to help with humidity. No domes for these ones, they seem pretty tough considering my neglect. Sorry for your loss.

_20170801_194426.JPG

• 3 years later...