Sphagnum moss confirmation

DP_FFM

2 hours ago, DP_FFM said:

Many thanks kisscool_38! ;-).

That has saved me a ton of cash forking out for Sphagnum, when it is growing not very far from me.

Cheers! :yes:

Providing you have permission from the land owner to take it :wink:

• Like 2

Hi,

according to German law (BNatSchG) all Sphagnum species are especially protected. They must not be taken from the wild. Not because they are all rare (some are), but to prevent commercial collection and to protect the habitat. So you do need a permit! Grow your own Sphagnum if you want to save money.

Eric

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Podunk said:

Hi,

according to German law (BNatSchG) all Sphagnum species are especially protected. They must not be taken from the wild. Not because they are all rare (some are), but to prevent commercial collection and to protect the habitat. So you do need a permit! Grow your own Sphagnum if you want to save money.

Eric

Hi,

Thanks for your comment on this.

My original quote was enthused with saving money concerning purchasing Sphagnum moss and yes, I should obtain a permit (€) and grow my own, no excuse.

Just let me say, that I care about the wildlife in these protected woods and I also  pick up the trash that is strewn around these areas and dispose of it correctly! Have you seen the crap they throw into old bomb craters or ditches?

How about the foresters be tasked with also picking up this crap, as it is destroying the surrounding wildlife. Or are they tasked with just apprehending mushroom collectors and moss enthusiasts?

I have just 1ltr of the moss, so I do intend to grow it myself, without going back to the spot that I had found (and not shared!).

As you  know, this hobby of ours is very expensive and while abiding by the German laws is a must, but sometimes an opportunity can grab us on occasion.

Wishing you a good day.

Hi DP_FFM,

thank you for your understanding and for respecting nature and the law!

There's always a lot of pressure on nature around big cities. That's why excessive collection of mushrooms, wood, flowers etc. is more of a problem here than elsewhere. Even though most people are reasonable, a small number of people can do a lot of damage to the forest. All the trash is one of the symptoms. Frankfurt citicens have an intimate relation to their forest. At least it the only city I know of that used to have a holyday (Wäldchestag) dedicated to it.

You wouldn't get a permit to collect any Sphagnum unless you are doing serious bryological research and have an affiliation with a university. There are not many places in the forest around Frankfurt where you would find a lot of Sphagnum. You were lucky to find such a spot. It should be left alone. Especially if you can't tell apart rare species from common species. The ground water has dropped since the city needs more and more water. Therefore the wetlands around there are struggling for survival. There used to be places where you could find even Pinguicula vulgaris, Drosera anglica and Utricularia bremii, but they are all gone now. 

Growing CPs can be one of the cheapest hobbies you can imagine unless you want to build and run a highland terrarium with demanding plants, lights and cooling. Trade plants with others and all you need is a green thumb, a bright window sill, access to rain water, and some peat, coco coir and/or pine bark.

Eric

• Like 1