B52

U, longifolia

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Is anyone growing Utricularia longifolia at the moment or has done so in the past?

I have just orded one and it is my first Utricularia, any tips will be gratefully received.

Regards

Andy 

Andy,

I find longifolia a bit awkward.  It does ok in live spaghnum and likes plenty if water, it can turn allmost aquatic spreading into trays etc.  Seems to flower best if given a cool winter.  I think it likes warmth and plentry of light the rest of the year.

interested to hear what others say, mine has struggled a lot since i moved it in the greenhouse.

Thanks manders, I'll keep it in a separate tray and put it in the bathroom over the winter, we always keep the bathroom window open, so it's cool in the winter for it.

Hi Andy I've been growing some for a few years and my experience sounds similar to manders. Mine grows in live sphagnum, in a greenhouse heated to about 8C in winter.  It never thrives, always has some purple spots that sometimes grow mildew.  I tried putting it in the shade then in brighter light, always the same.  It became pot bound so I split it last year and tried some in a more peaty type mix, it seemed to spring to life but this year is back to "normal".  Average leaf length about 4cm and last year the best was maybe 8cm so not so "long"ifolia in my experience.  I have never been able to get to flower yet.

My U alpina and U nelumbifolia grow just fine so I don't think it's just my lack of aptitude but who knows.

Manders' description of "awkward" seems to describe it perfectly.

I hope you have better luck and when you do don't forget to come back and give us some much needed advice.

1 person likes this

Hi Gaz, cheers for the info mate, I have been reading a few old posts ,and it looks like there have been a few people having the same trouble with U, longifolia.

I'm not looking forward to getting it as much as I was now! Hahahaha.

I'm sure it'll be a challenge, but that's why we grow CP's isn't! Lol

21 hours ago, B52 said:

I'm not looking forward to getting it as much as I was now! Hahahaha.
I'm sure it'll be a challenge, but that's why we grow CP's isn't! Lol

Hi Andy, don't let it put you off, as you say the challenge is part of the fun and not every growers conditions suit every plant.  Good luck and remember to take some photos so we can admire your plant :tu:

1 person likes this

Cheers Gaz.

I grow it in a sealed plastic container on a windowsill with peat. The leaves get pretty long (20-30 cm) but I have yet to get it to flower. I have had it for about 5 years.