Bug sprays?

Hi all don't know if there is a thread or sticky already, had a quick search but couldn't see one.

I was just wondering if it was worth starting a sticky on various sprays that we have used for bugs and insects and on what plants and the results so we all have an easy look up reference?

for example I have recently used ..

Bayer Garden Multirose 3 in 1 on VFT's and Sarracenias and all are ok and greenfly all gone, and traps growing well.

James

• 4 weeks later...

If an infestation has gone beyond using manual control, Nicotine sulfate works well with no damage to sensitive plants such as CP's and is pretty easy to make. Thats if you know anyone who smokes and don't mind the stink when making and using it.

This article is a good read: https://philebersole.wordpress.com/2012/06/09/make-insecticide-from-cigarettes-and-coffee/ and gives an idea how to make a spray but can't find the actual recipe that I used.

Mike

Mike, it is illegal to make up your own insecticides these days. You can't use anything that is not approved.

In the good old days, Lawrence Hill used to advocate boiling up cigarette ends to make a nicotine spray. I have done this in the past. I have also boiled up quassia chips which work as well. You can even use rhubarb leaves, boiled up and strained. You wouldn't want these insecticides on your skin but they do breakdown very quickly which is good.

Unfortunately, you just are not allowed to make up your own sprays. 

When I worked with office plants, we used to wash the plants with washing up detergent. Rather strangely, the red spider mite didn't like the detergent, and kept away. A bit of a coincidence.

• Like 1

Bug Clear vine weevil killer is very effective against mealy bug, and other nasties on sarracenia.

The only problem is that it is a systemic insecticide, and will kill flies going for the nectar - often before they fall into the trap.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 2:34 AM, David Ahrens said:

Mike, it is illegal to make up your own insecticides these days. You can't use anything that is not approved.

Ah, ok. Cheers for bringing this up. I only knew that nicotine is frowned upon when it comes to organics and didn't know that you can't home cook your own pesticides anymore.

Sorry for inciting any illegal activities through my own ignorance.