Help with Drosera Retundifolia seedlings

Mervinius

Hello.

I've got three d. Retundifolia seedlings which popped up within other plants I bought. I moved them into a separate pot and they were growing really well. It then got really hot in my greenhouse and all their leaves dried up. I've moved them outside and they are partial shade for now.

Are they dead? Or are they just dormant?

Will they re grow this summer or is that it for this year. They are tiny seedlings.

Is there anything I should do to help them?

The third one looks even less alive. I tried to take a picture but it just looks like compost. :-(1515f3987cfbf9452bd880187b87c070.jpg30a28612c1b0459c869c5f781c878fed.jpg

The first one at least looks like it's still somewhat alive. You could try snipping off the good-looking leaves and put them on your soil mix and keep them moist. If they're still alive you should get several tiny plantlets sprouting from those leaves in a matter of days/weeks. If they aren't alive anymore you won't have lost anything. Of course if they're still alive they will just resume growth eventually anyway.

I hope it works out, Drosera rotundifolia is a lovely plant (and I hope someday someone will discover a tropical variety of it so it can be kept indoors).

Hi there,
Drosera rotundifolia is a cold temperate species of sundew and should not be subject to very high temperatures. Dormancy is brought on by cooler temperatures (usually around September-October) and so I would doubt that the plants are going dormant now. Where are you growing? If in the U.K. You should consider growing these outdoors year round. Maybe try and position the plant in a shadier, cooler position until it recovers and wait for new growth before you start to slowly acclimatise it to brighter conditions. Lastly, nice luck for getting some freebies. Good growing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did look worse and because I thought they'd got too hot I popped them outside. I've recently moved them into a shadier position.

I'm in south Dorset so could grow them outside. It's very dry and hot here at the moment. The greenhouse is like an oven.

My new filliformis's new shoots are going black at the tips? Is that because it is too hot aswell?

My capensis is loving the heat and is smothered in flies. :-)

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I've never grown filiformis myself but I would guess as it can be found in the same habitats as rotundifolia that it will be suffering from heat burn as well. We are at the start of the growing season and so I'm sure they will come round for you. Cheers:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't harden it off it will look sickly for a couple of days but afterwards will get right back to its regular growing schedule. However if it's excruciatingly hot and dry outside you're better off hardening it off because the shock might just be too big for it to shrug it off.

It's very hot and dry in the greenhouse too. In fact probably a lot drier. I think it was 12% humidity in there today! I shall pop it out tonight and see what it looks like in the morning. I can keep it in the shade with my retundifolia.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for your advice to put the filliformis outside. It looks much happier. No more brown tips to the leaves and it's getting back to being covered in dew. Lots of new leaves uncurling too.

Sadly the tiny retundifolia have disappeared into the compost so I think they had deteriorated too far. Might have to treat myself to a plant! [emoji6] bde046664f358bdb8bab1b7e276474d4.jpg

• Like 1