Windowsill growing

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and have recently obtained a nepenthes x ventrata and nepenthes maxima which I grow on on my south-east facing windowsill in my conservatory. It would be cool if people would post pictures of their windowsill grown collection to give me inspiration in other plants to acquire and to show off what can be done in a U.K. windowsill!! Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently (about two months ago) filled a fish bowl with live sphagnum moss and put Heliamphora minor x heterodoxa, Utricularia sandersonii and some pygmy sundews in it and sprinkled some Drosera regia seeds on there as well. So far they all seem to be liking it and all the seeds germinated. It's on a south facing window but the light is filtered slightly. The lack of drainage isn't as big of a problem as some make it out to be and the living moss provides ample 'breathing space', and even if something should go wrong it's easy to see it on time through the clear glass bowl.

Next time I won't put pygmy sundews in this kind of setup anymore, though, because they're so small you can barely spot them against the moss. I water until the water level reaches 2 or 3 cm, then wait until it's fully depleted again (but the moss is still wet) before watering again. Easy to keep track of, easy to care for and it looks nice (and will look even better as the plants slowly fill up the bowl). The plants would grow just as well in a normal pot, though.

I'm thinking of doing a similar setup with a Nepenthes, but the only one I know of that would stay compact inside the bowl is Nepenthes argentii and it's pretty expensive.

• Like 1

I've tried taking pictures but they don't really come out well. If I get a better camera I'll give it another go, but it's more or less a combination of the two below (except the plants are still younger and there are significantly less flowers yet). I don't cover the top because it would get too hot.

heli.jpgutricularia-sandersonii-glass-bowl.jpg

For reference, the first picture is from here and the second from here.

Edited by carambola

15 minutes ago, carambola said:

Those Nepenthes are looking wonderful, are they standing on heatpads? Superb pitchers on the one sitting on the table, too.

No extra heat. I allways have abot 25c in my Livingroom. Even my ampullaria is growing an pitchering good :) the one on the table is an adult hookeriana with a red ampullaria by it site.

1 hour ago, carnivoroushighlander said:

Really nice plants!! Which species do you grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowland plants in the livingroom: N. Truncata, N x hookeriana and N. ampullaria.   In the kitching : N. Veitchii bario lowland, N. Veitchii bario highland. N. Veitchii candy, N. robcantleyi, N. robcantleyi x Veitchii. N. bicalcarata and N. Truncata "pasain". .... the bicalcarata and Veitchii bario is new, so i dont know how They grow. But most of them i have grown for a lest a year, and They are good.

59 minutes ago, Alexcpdk said:

No extra heat. I allways have abot 25c in my Livingroom. Even my ampullaria is growing an pitchering good :) the one on the table is an adult hookeriana with a red ampullaria by it site.

Great to hear, just goes to show many plants are a lot tougher and more adaptable to less than ideal conditions than some people make them out to be. Thanks for the info and the lovely pictures!

A couple of my helis grown on a windowsill :biggrin:

H. Nutans X heterodoxa

large.20170612_072147-1377x2448.jpg.e97941a8265e41637aa762042c35216c.jpglarge.20170619_184048-1377x2448.jpg.c628e65b653a17301db00f841771b4e6.jpg

H. Minor

large.20170619_184101-1377x2448.jpg.ea48fcb6e0de9a55576ee502fc0ea760.jpg

It really is great to see plants growing on windowsills with no special conditions! 

Dan

• Like 2