Anybody had problems with Carnivoria.eu?

Hello..did you get your consignment via registered mail or express mail svc? After hearing about how awful your plants arrive, i think its safer for me to request for a ems...But i have someone that i know requested for ems and cost 45 and got registered mail instead from david == thats ridiculous.

Both were just registered mail and took four working days to arrive (for some reason he didn't send either on a Monday, so they both sat at the post office over the weekend doing nothing). Packaged in a big cardboard box, with plastic bags with the plants inside, roots wrapped in moist kitchen roll as you would expect. (Although I was actually surprised he didn't just wrap some of the moss I bought around the roots instead, that would have been so much easier and better for the plants as well.)

I also still haven't received a reply, refund or the plant that I paid for. There is no excuse for this, and if I could give Carnivoria a rating it would be zero stars. I'll look into requesting a full refund for one of the orders on PayPal, because this is unacceptable.

• Like 2

On June 30 I submitted the form to order some plants on the website. On July 2 I got a reply stating what was available. I literally replied to that email 10 minutes after it was sent but have yet to hear anything back. On July 8 I sent an email asking for the total amount  I needed to pay but still didn't hear back. I didn't pay so I don't really mind one way or another but I do wish that David was more responsive to emails.

• Like 1

Astonishingly, he is now suggesting that I am the one who is trying to scam him out of his money, all because I sent him an email that was a bit too nicely worded (and was sent before he admitted he did not send part of the order on purpose, yet still took my money). He didn't even bother replying to my concerns about the tiny plant sold to me as an adult, nor did he mention anything about the plant he didn't send, and is pretending as though nothing is wrong.

Edited by carambola

Yeah, I've noticed the website always says everything is in stock. Even now it still shows the Utricularia praelonga as being available, clearly it isn't!

I've escalated my case to PayPal and am waiting for a solution, because David simply replied "I think paypal refund you". Not very helpful.

I have just put in for a refund via paypal. I ordered 335Euro of plants from David for my University on the 28th February (I tried to order more, but many listed on the website were not available). I get the feeling the plants will never arrive. I have been asked to confirm my delivery address twice, and I have "confirmed" a delivery date several times only for this to pass with no word. My last email on the 1st August remains unanswered.

I have ordered from David once before, with a small order around 100euros. I received quite a few free plants (some small Pinguicula and airplants) and the overall quality of plants was reasonable - a few were rather small, but they have settled fine. My only small complaint was that a specimen of Utricularia 'jitka' was missing, and the specimens of Drosera finysonia were broken during shipping, and arrived DOA. However, at the time I was very busy with teaching and did not email David to tell him - so I can't really blame him here as I did not give him an opportunity to act. But it is worrying that missing plants does not seem an isolated occurrence, judging from the responses here. I'd rather not get freebies and just get the plants I actually order.

I don't think I will order from David again, and cannot recommend him to others. It's just not worth the faff compared to other sellers.

• Like 1

I received the following response on paypal from David: "I am very sorry for this situation and complication,paypal is blocking money to you,I will refund you money, of course.regards, david"

I've now escalated to a formal claim with paypal. Glad I paid using credit card for extra protection. As far as I know paypal does not block refunds until the case is escalated to a formal claim, at which point they lock the funds until they make a decision. So his response that paypal would not let him refund me at that stage seems dishonest.

Great, PayPal just replied and said I have to 'return the object' to get my money back. There's no way to respond that this is impossible: these are live plants, they could have been infected with a disease in my care so sending them back would mean infecting Carnivoria's entire collection. They didn't even mention the plant I didn't receive, how am I supposed to send that one back? Pretty disappointed in PayPal here. I'll try and look for a solution.

I hope you'll get your money back no questions asked, GRB.

Edit: the only way I could find to send any information was by submitting an empty tracking code, and writing my concerns in the Notes box, so that's what I did. I hope they won't think I'm just trying to mess around. I could live with not receiving a refund for the living plants if I don't return them, but the dead and by now composted plants, and especially the one never sent...

Edited by carambola

I've now had an email asking me to close the dispute, so that the money can be refunded. The problem now is that if I close the dispute and a refund doesn't arrive, then I can't reopen it.

So I'm going to let paypal settle this - if he wants he can email paypal about issuing a refund and they will close the dispute early.

I don't think I am being too cynical;  the trust has gone in this sale. Too much delaying and faff - if I were the seller, I'd be mortified and would have issued a refund well before now. I wonder how long this would have went on for if I hadn't emailed? It's already been 6 months since I placed the order.

@Carambola - yeah, that sucks. It does seem pointless to ask for dead plants to be shipped around. I'm puzzled as to what is going on with this seller, to throw away what seems like several years building a business. It's not like CP enthusiasts are a gigantic group, and word will spread.

Edited by GRB

3 hours ago, GRB said:

I've now had an email asking me to close the dispute, so that the money can be refunded. The problem now is that if I close the dispute and a refund doesn't arrive, then I can't reopen it.

That is insane. If possible, I would add a copy of that email to your communications with PayPal, so they can see for themselves that he is trying to do shady stuff behind their backs. It sounds very much like something that would get his account, including all funds, permanently frozen.

This is very upsetting news... Ive bought a few times from Carnivoria/ David and both times received healthy good plants. I know he can be very slow to respond to emails, and sometimes confused especially if the buyer is changing his mind on what he wants every other day, which was me in this case the 1st time.

I just don’t believe David is out to scam anyone, think its just poor management or hes trying to do everything single handed.

Edited by Dr. GreenThumb

• 3 weeks later...

I thank you all for sometimes more, sometimes less objective messages and comments.

I will react to the views presented here, because it's important to me - each client's opinion is important.

The delay or not to send of consignments was cause by the amount of orders that we have not been able to realize in the usual deadline. The same situation was with the response to emails, which I received up to 100 a day etc.

Above that there I have been other problems in cultivation and others, but the client does not know it and the client should not be bothered by that, of course. And the vast majority of clients did not notice it, but not 100% of them. I do not know if everyone can do everything at 100%, but it can be a question of alibi only -J.  I do not want to continue the message at this level, it might just be good if before everyone starts writing on the forum, thinks and considers his words.

We solve all possibly problems with all our clients individually, for example by re-sending plants (including bonuses), by refunding money etc..

Richard

- A shipment was sent or money was returned (as with all clients)

Andy B52

– money was returned to clients with apology

Mark Anderson  

- it was solved and we are in contact 

Carambola

In this case, my client thanked me for the supplied NICE plants, but he introduced completely different information when complaining it on pay pal. If anything is tragic (or ridiculous, as he states) - then I think that. I, according to the rules of the system paypal, asked for the return of bad plants and confirmed the return of the whole amount. I did not received my bad plants to this day. And in this case, I replied to the client truthfully : "I think paypal refund you" – money - of course.

Ham

- it was solved

- indeed, the process of obtaining an export permit is sometimes long in our country. 

SFLguy

– plants have been sent repeatedly

this is not in my power to keep all utricularias absolutely clean

GRB 

Long communication, I I was still waiting for the client to confirm when to send the shipment. This case was long and with my mistake, all the money was returned immediately after the paypal dispute has been completed ("I am very sorry for this situation and complication, paypal is blocking money to you, I will refund you money, of course.regards, david") . I apologize again.

It's a shame that clients only write about the problem, but they do not say that the problem was finally resolved. I find this unobjective (GRB).

GRB and Carambola

Is stated: I've now had an email asking me to close the dispute, so that the money can be refunded. The problem now is that if I close the dispute and a refund doesn't arrive, then I can't reopen it.

So I'm going to let paypal settle this - if he wants he can email paypal about issuing a refund and they will close the dispute early.

I don't think I am being too cynical;  the trust has gone in this sale. Too much delaying and faff - if I were the seller, I'd be mortified and would have issued a refund well before now. I wonder how long this would have went on for if I hadn't emailed? It's already been 6 months since I placed the order.

@Carambola - yeah, that sucks. It does seem pointless to ask for dead plants to be shipped around. I'm puzzled as to what is going on with this seller, to throw away what seems like several years building a business. It's not like CP enthusiasts are a gigantic group, and word will spread.

David: This is about trust and credibility. I refund money to clients at all times.

Thank you Joni, Ceel, Werds

David

Edited by carnivoria

• 2 weeks later...

Received plants they were all in good condition with 2 extra bonus plants. Given many babies also. I have mixed feelings because of the lack of communication but also i received all my plants in good condition.

Edited by ham

"GRB 

Long communication, I I was still waiting for the client to confirm when to send the shipment. This case was long and with my mistake, all the money was returned immediately after the paypal dispute has been completed ("I am very sorry for this situation and complication, paypal is blocking money to you, I will refund you money, of course.regards, david") . I apologize again.

It's a shame that clients only write about the problem, but they do not say that the problem was finally resolved. I find this unobjective (GRB)."

The forum has been down, so I was unable to post anything. I confirmed the dates for shipping 3 times.

PayPal have now closed my case because I didn't provide correct tracking information - which is true, as I didn't/couldn't send anything - and blissfully overlooked the note I attached where I asked how I was supposed to send back disintegrated plants, or plants that were never received, and where I explained sending the living plants back was not an option because it would be a sure death sentence for them. I even wrote that I would be willing to forgo a reimbursement for the plants that were 'not as described', but I couldn't and can't accept not being reimbursed for a plant never received. (Not to mention the shipping costs would have been on me, even though I'm the one who got duped, and Belgium is not exactly known for either its low shipping costs or its excellent postal service.)

Anyway, conclusion of the story: David never sent me a Utricularia praelonga, knew about it, took my money for it yet didn't tell me anything about it until I inquired, David sent me a Drosera adelae with 2cm leaves and claimed it was a (semi)adult specimen, David sent me a Darlingtonia and a Drosera roseana, both of which turned out to be dead on arrival, and David sent me a Drosera binata var. dichotoma 'Giant' in a large bag to accomodate the large leaves that were all black or blackening (admittedly the least troublesome aspect, as the roots were healthy and the plant is now, a few months later, growing well), and PayPal clearly don't have a lot of experience with plants.

I think I'll stick to the 'Buy and Sell' area of this forum from now on. Much less hassle, and there's a direct network of trust.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 6:43 PM, carnivoria said:

SFLguy

– plants have been sent repeatedly

this is not in my power to keep all utricularias absolutely clean

Apologies for the late reply, I don't get onto CPUK that often anymore and hadn't  received a reply to my previous email yet so I assumed you were busy/otherwise unable to respond. 

I don't expect you to be able to keep everything clean which is why I asked if others had received Utricularia from you to see if contamination from other species like subulata was normal and if I could still expect to see some bisquamata in there. That's not a big deal as it's certainly understandable and I wouldn't be able to fault any grower for subulata spreading in their collections. 

As for the first part, I would be shocked to hear that the plants were sent repeatedly as I was never informed that they were sent in the first place and feel as though it would be very strange for you to resend plants in which I never confirmed the arrival or lack of arrival  unless you had somehow been notified that they had been destroyed or lost along the way. 

I will say that the plants that arrived the first time are all still alive and doing well on my end and were definitely appropriately sized if not larger than expected. I'll have to check if the other growers I ordered for to see if they still have their plants but I've seen pictures of most of the plants from two of them that seem to be doing really well as well. So the quality of the plants was fine, the only problem was ordering the first time and not receiving all of the plants that were paid for. At this point me and another grower are still waiting on a pair of plants or a refund if it isn't possible. 

Let me know if there's anything I missed out on in that

• 1 month later...

So we had placed a large order (just under $2500) with Carnivoria in July. A few plants were missing, no big deal. People were planning on doing a reorder, which I joined in on since I had a missing Dionaea B52. I also jumped at the opportunity to buy a macrophylla as I have been dying to get one!

The second order was shipped around September 23rd. We were then informed it was not sent by EMS. The order finally arrived on October 4th, with a few plants dead. My free Dionaea B52 made it but my N. macrophylla was dead. I believe I spent around $200 the first time around. 

We also did not receive phytosanitary paperwork for the reorder which kind of rubbed me the wrong way. In the end, I did get the refund for my dead macrophylla but am incredibly disappointed that it was not sent as EMS which would have avoided the issue. I basically joined in on the reorder for nothing. 

All that said, the first order was great. It came from Czech to Canada in two days and every single plant arrived happy and healthy. I lost two ramispina and a copelandii due to my families negligence however. I am very happy with the plants I received from the first order, but am very disappointed in regards to the reorder. I would really like an N. macrophylla. 

The plants were quality, I just dislike what haappened the second time around. 

--

Craig

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wish I knew how bad carnivoria was before ordering from them. I placed a large order, over 500€, with them and specified weeks in advance that it was important for the plants to be delivered by a specific date. I waited around and finally found out that they hadn't even sent the plants until the date I had asked for the plants to be delivered. I complained and the guy said he'd give me a refund if I waited for the plants to arrive and then sent the plants back. So I waited and waited, nothing ever arrived and eventually I asked for my refund. The guy went off on me and says that it's my fault for not picking up the plants, but nothing had ever been sent to me regarding their whereabouts. This is absolutely awful business practice, blaming other people for their own incompetence. From reading many complaints about carnivoria, I am assuming they didn't fill out the phytosanitary paperwork correctly and that the plants just sat around in customs before getting sent back dead. I would not recommend ordering from carnivoria, they are horrible to deal with in cases where something goes wrong. (which seems to be often)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...