Ceph pitcher turning yellow?

HannahMariia

Hi I've had this ceph for 6 months and it's been kept on a southwest facing windowsill. Over the past couple of days 1 pitcher has turned yellow. I water using a saucer method and refill saucer after its dried out for a couple of days (the saucer not the plant). Am I doing something wrong or is it normal? It's a fairly new pitcher too.

636b9a4062c05b8b1ec45053fdc6eedc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont let my Cephs stand in water. I was advised to water from above and then tip away any water that collects in the tray / saucer. To date, all has gone well and not had any problems so my guess is it's got something to do with standing in the water.

• Like 1

Not sure why that particular pitcher has decided to die back. Keep an eye on it but as the abundance of new leaf growth is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Incidentally, I grow mine always standing in water, sometimes almost up to the pot brim with the smaller pots! Dry conditions around the roots are far more detrimental than flooding.

• Like 1

I suppose it is possible if overlying growth has squeezed the petiole, but sometimes the odd pitchers just die off as new growth replaces them. They can also die off rapidly if polluted with too much fertiliser or food that the pitcher cannot cope with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Not sure why that particular pitcher has decided to die back. Keep an eye on it but as the abundance of new leaf growth is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Incidentally, I grow mine always standing in water, sometimes almost up to the pot brim with the smaller pots! Dry conditions around the roots are far more detrimental than flooding.

I think the used watering method that works depends on other circumstances as well, such as the mix you use, and the temperature.

• Like 2

It was really hot, because the pot is black I think it absorbed too much of the heat. I have heard they like it warm but roots need to be kept cooler so I wrapped the pot in bubble wrap to try and reflect the heat haha! Thanks I'll have a read of the article! :)

That's a good article Tropicat - the Sarracenia Northwest guys are a great, knowledgeable bunch.

Hannah; it may well be getting too hot for too long - the drop in night temperature is important. Black pots per se are not an issue (I use black pots for my entire collection - even Darlingtonia in full sun) but may not be helping if already in a stuffy, hot environment. It'll probably be happier now on the new windowsill.

The lids closing are a sign of low humidity. You could try the occasional hand misting and/or check the traps have fluid inside. If they are dry, you can safely add a tiny amount of rain water into them which may improve things.

• Like 1

I always see that ppl say the closing lids are a sign of low humidity. I have tried experimenting with my cephs (i like experimenting). I put a ceph outside in the full sunshine and the pot was standing in water completely to the edge. The lids closed. After a while i moved it to the shade and took it out of the water and let it dry completely. The lids opened. 

It seems contradictory. I can imagine the same i see with orchids: if they are watered too much the roots rot and they show signs of dehydration. Idk if this is the same with cephs? I put the ceph in both conditions for about 2 weeks. The ceph is still growing well. 

Does anyone know more about this?

• Like 1

Looks like a great healthy plant so I wouldn't worry about the odd trap or two going 'off'.  Too many plants so can't be fussy on any of mine - they're in the trays like anything else in the greenhouse that hit the mid 30s today.  They're in very free draining compost mix but the 'stems' go down very deep in the pots so are probably in water most of the time. Seem fine with this.

• Like 1

I would lean towards heat stress, I have lost a load recently (including clone 1 Stuart and they had the biggest pitchers) since the heat went up there has been problems here. from what I have learned when there are signs of decline above there is already trouble below.

• Like 1

nooooo! Hang in there! The new growth does look good still. Did you put it in a different location?

Yeah I have, I've put it on a south east windowsill it was on a southwest window before. I won't give up on it...not yet anyway!