Drosera binata 'T Form'

ewjlamb

Good afternoon esteemed CP-ers,

I am writing this post to reach out to experienced growers anywhere with the following question:-

"Does Drosera binata 'T form' actually exist?"

I've been intermittently tending a mixed collection of CPs for many years, and try as I might, I've not yet succeeded in growing a form of binata that branches once and once only. OK, so my maintenance and repotting routines are not the best in the world and granted, the D. binata and its variants are lusty, vigourous and self-fertile so that it's likely I've often been supplanted in a given pot by mongrel offspring. Nonetheless, on occasions I've sought this and an old, faded plant label among my plants confirms the notion.

If the 'T Form' does indeed exist , could anyone please confirm whether it comes true from seed.

With thanks,

Jonathan

I too have been seeking this holy grail of binatas for years.  I'm pretty sure I had it as a child and it came from Marston Exotics.  Although, it's entirely possible it forked more than once on the odd occasion and I didn't notice it.  Otaki Forks so far seems reasonably stable as a t-form.  I have 2 leaves that have forked more than once though but the majority are T.

• Like 1

I'm sure I heard somewhere recently (may have been at the ICPS Conference?) that there is only really one recognised form of Drosera binata, and that is "Drosera binata". All other forms and varieties are unofficial and unrecognised by botanists, and are basically all variations of a theme anyway, regardless of how many time the leaves divide.

<lights blue touch-paper and retires to a safe distance!>

Saying that I have a plant that I received from Alastair Culham a few years ago, which only splits once. I've never tried propagating from seed though! And, yes, I have it labelled as "T-form".

• Like 1

I have a few binata's. One of which came originally from Nigel (HC) as T form and I can confirm it has always only branched the once. It's one of my first in the collection about 10 years ago and so have a few spares, and a big 3L pot full busting at the sides!

In contrast, I acquired a binata around the same time I thought to be a simple form, but it occasionally divides again.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Richard Bunn said:

Also, Loaksey. I'd love a piece of that binata if you ha e any spare or even root cuttings.

Actually Richard, I'm still waiting to see if it recovers from the winter as it's showing no sign of new growth yet. If it does, you're in!

When i was in my teens I had a binata T-form that only branched once. It was a definite size smaller than the others in the complex and was quite red. It couldn't come with me to uni however. Last year i got a dormant one from Nigel (hc) and that has recently started growing, it certainly looks the same as my old one so far.

• Like 1

All of the forms originating from southern Australia, ie- Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and WA fork only once. I'm surprised they appear to be so uncommon in cultivation in your part of the world.

11 hours ago, danl82 said:

When i was in my teens I had a binata T-form that only branched once. It was a definite size smaller than the others in the complex and was quite red. It couldn't come with me to uni however. Last year i got a dormant one from Nigel (hc) and that has recently started growing, it certainly looks the same as my old one so far.

Yes my one is noticeable more 'compact' or shorter in height that others in my collection. It stays upright, rather than flopping over on long stems!

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes my one is noticeable more 'compact' or shorter in height that others in my collection. It stays upright, rather than flopping over on long stems!

Yes! Thats exactly how mine was. Ends up like a dewy bush almost, usually smothered in bugs.

On 2017-5-7 at 10:32 AM, Richard Bunn said:

Out of curiosity which one do you folks grow?  

It was bought as a 'T-Form' many years ago. Unless Nigel has since recategorised any of his collection, it will be the same T form.

2 hours ago, Loakesy said:

Sorry, Richard. It's not looking good. I think my pot of T-form may have to end up on the compost heap. I'm not feeling hopeful!

Check the roots, i almost gave up on my dichotoma giant because there was nothing growing whilst two forms multifida in the same tray were already catching bugs. But carefully tipping it out and seeing live root tips gave me hope and just two days ago its first leave of the year has appeared.

All of the forms originating from southern Australia, ie- Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and WA fork only once. I'm surprised they appear to be so uncommon in cultivation in your part of the world.

I have a nice collection of clones from these regions, partly obtained from you in 2010. As I understood from another collector here in EU, you're not shipping plants any longer to EU?
I think in general there are not many around collecting many different binata clones.
I hope to find time to post pictures of the "T-form" clones. There are some differences in size and colour.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk