Lack of RAIN

Skullkeeper

So there has been a lack of rain in the South East of the UK over the past few months and my water butts are getting very low.

If I fill a water butt up with Tap Water (Bearing in mind we are in a very HARD water area) and leave it to stand for a few weeks, would that be ok to use on my VFT,s?

Thanks

Hi skullkeeper

Hard water doesn't loose any of its total dissolved solids by standing I'm afraid, you will only loose the chlorine from it.

So in theory no, not for any length of time, a watering or two you can get away with if you are desperate and thoroughly flush the pots once rainwater is available, or better if you only have a few plants get some car battery top up water, distilled water, condensate from an AC unit, use the frost from one of the older style freezers or buy some  RO water from a tropical/reef fish sales outlet.

You should get rain on Sunday so you may be OK

cheers

steve

Edited by billynomates666

Or buy an RO filter. I invested in one a couple of years ago and it's proved to be invaluable.  Has been worth it when the butts have run dry. 

Edited by Multimammat

Similarly, condensate from condensing tumble dryers is stated in the manual as being a suitable replacement for distilled water to use in steam irons, so presumably should be OK for CPs too.

Sent from my Harrier from EE using Tapatalk

On 01/05/2017 at 7:58 AM, osmosis said:

I thought RO filters needed to be in constant use - or  the filter disassembled and stored in concentrated brine? In other words, no good as an intermittent standby?

Hmm I have not heard this, I have 2 units that i just connect and disconnect as required, (one big and one small) the initial outflow is normally higher in TDS, say 50-80 ppm, I guess due to the growth of organics in the units and pipes, however the level drops to 10-20 ppm after about 10 mins. I also over winter the units without draining or taking apart and again they work well  after a few minutes of running.

Cheers

Steve

On 01/05/2017 at 7:58 AM, osmosis said:

I thought RO filters needed to be in constant use - or  the filter disassembled and stored in concentrated brine? In other words, no good as an intermittent standby?

The actual RO membrane needs to be kept wet/damp and not fully dry out to keep at it's optimum and to extend longevity of life. If you just disconnect and keep the pipes at a higher level than the unit, this should theoretically keep some water in the membrane housing, otherwise it'll just seep out due to gravity!

I have put shut off valves on the input and both outputs of mine so I can isolate water in the unit when not in use for precisely this reason. You can also install a flush valve on the waste water line to purge the membrane at full pressure if you are concerned about standing detritus or any such pollutants on the membrane decreasing efficiency. I have done this and will flush for about 15 seconds if it has been stored away for a few months.