Purps Termonbarry

Visited Termonbarry today, had some trouble finding the sarracenia at first and only managed to find sphagnum and drosera rotundifolia. After some driving around and walking through the bog I managed to find a handful of sarracenia purpurea, I was actually quite surprised that I only found a dozen or so plants, and it didn't look like they'd be there for long. Less than 100 meters away the bog was being cut away and the soil around the purps was very dry and there were more dead dried up purps than nice healthy ones. And on top of that, most of the sphagnum moss was dead.

Anyway, here are a few pictures, one or two more of the same plants following in a week or two.ee970b0f9be60fb0611a092bb10fa630.jpg900abc6b6fd82b323a6c5c7f4f6bcebc.jpg97d723de693369f535668dc9e95804fe.jpgb36cac1e22ccbc47e4174ac9bbbb601c.jpge6cb6b40158bd7a9455657686a77166a.jpg790da23eede1a1b3f66e69eab3deba83.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A few metres (2 or 3) they had also dug drainage ditches, probably to make the cutting of the peat easier. In my time in Ireland, I also saw lots of other bogs that were being cut away, I was really surprised to see how much was being destroyed of the bogs.

I also visited Woodfield bog near Clara, and on one side of the road there were machines destroying the bog. However, on the other side of the road the bog was fine and there were huge amounts of purps and Darlingtonia. That part of the bog was so wet, that I sunk up to my knees when I stepped onto a wet spot next to the plants! As far as I know, most of it is being cut away by Bord na mona, who sell it for burning. 

I also happened to visit a garden centre when I was there and I thought it was kind of strange that the garden centre didn't sell any peat for plants whatsoever, but they did sell blocks from Bord na mona for your fireplace!

On 10/05/2017 at 7:13 PM, Rory said:

I also happened to visit a garden centre when I was there and I thought it was kind of strange that the garden centre didn't sell any peat for plants whatsoever, but they did sell blocks from Bord na mona for your fireplace!

Peat use for plants is considered immoral these days.  But burning it in power stations is totally acceptable, apparently.

15 hours ago, picol said:

Obviously my comment was sarcastic, what sound strange to me is the fact that in 2017 peat is still burned.

In Ireland, theres 3 power stations burning peat producing about 370 MWe of power.  Roughly burning about 50te/hr of peat.  450,000 te/yr.

And you thought the CP community used a lot!

Similarly large amounts are burned in Lithuania, Estonia, Russia and Rwanda.

Edited by manders

On 12/5/2017 at 10:59 PM, manders said:

In Ireland, theres 3 power stations burning peat producing about 370 MWe of power.  Roughly burning about 50te/hr of peat.  450,000 te/yr.

And you thought the CP community used a lot!

Similarly large amounts are burned in Lithuania, Estonia, Russia and Rwanda.

first of all, as i've read all the posts about the peat ban, it's not my intention to fuel up any further discussion. But yes, the amount of peat used by gardeners in nothing compared to the amount burned, but now i'm going OT.