Old newbie here!

Guy

For many, many years I've bought venus fly traps from garden centres on an occasional basis.

They've always been huge fun.  I've always thought they were annuals, and chucked them away at the end of the year.  Silly me!

At the end of last year, though, Google taught me they can keep going over winter if kept nice and cool.  The one I bought last year is still alive, albeit a bit stunted and twisted.

So I started looking around t'internet for info on venus flytraps.  Which led me to find out about other carnivorous plants.  Fascinating!

So, at 62 years old, I may have discovered a new interest.

Tomorrow I'm expecting a delivery from 'Little Shop of Horrors'. two pitchers, two venus fly traps and three of those sticky sundew things.  Apparently LSH send them out in pots, not bare roots, so I don't have to worry about planting them.

Getting quite excited about this!

Guy

• Like 2

Welcome Guy. :)

It's an addictive hobby. There are also plenty of interesting plants to purchase on here, from very knowledgable growers. 

Hannah

Edited by Multimammat

Welcome to the forum Guy, we got you on here in the end.  What were the pitcher plants you ordered? I'm curious about which ones you chose. Also, what was the Sundew?

Keep reading/learning on here, ask questions and share your experience.  I'd also recommend you get a good book such as The Savage Garden 2nd Edition (Peter D'Amato) or Carnivorous Plants (Nigel Hewitt Cooper).  

Actually the very first nursery I bought my first plants from was Little Shop of Horrors back in the day.  They're nice people.  I also recommend Ian Salter (who will send potted if you ask him) and Hampshire Carnivorous Plants as well as Hewitt-Cooper Carnivorous Plants.

Hi

Thanks for the recommendations of other suppliers--I'll check them out.

As to the plants coming from Little shop of Horrors, the pitchers are 'Dixie Lace' and Norman Parker'.  The sundews are a three plant collection from LSH and are D. capensis.  Normal, white and red forms.  The venus fly traps are 'South West Giant' and 'B52'--very romantic name!

Due for delivery in about 3 hours.

Guy

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

Here they are!

Oops--no they aren't!  Apparently I can only post photos up to 1mb.  This one's 1.4mb and I've no idea how to reduce the size, sorry.

Hang on, just found an image optimiser.  Let's hope it's worked.  Is 1mb the permanent limit, or will it increase as I post more?

Guy

Optimized-20170421_142332.jpg