What plants for U.K Bog Garden

Ezza

VFT's need dormancy. So they need to experience a cold period. You can use them for a bog garden.

I have my VFTs and sarracenias outside all year (in the netherlands). I'm also keeping a cephalotus outside for the first time this year, as an experiment.

Edited by Tropicat
  • Like 1

Hi Ezza and welcome.

I have kept carnivorous plants outside for many years now and it is surprising what you can keep, if your bog is large enough.

All Sarracenia can be kept outside and are generally good down to -10 or more, (I have had -18C with only a few losses, but then less than 1/2  the VFTs died) exceptions to this are the S. purpurea venosa's, S. psittacina and minors, requiring higher temperatures or better protection, although over the past few years, with the warmer winters, mine have been fine with minimal or no protection.

VFTs similarly do well outside although they are obviously later to get going than indoor plants, minimal protection required, again in the past i have had them to -12C and more.

The temperate Pinguicula all do well fast forming a green slimey carpet, as do the indigenous Drosera species, as well as all forms of D. binata and the ubiquitous D. capensis. The latter two die back to their roots over winter and sprout again from the roots, eventually forming clumps.

The larger bog you create the better really, it aids temperature and water stability, which helps the plants.

Possibly the worst enemies of an outside bog is frequent freeze/thaw cycles, desiccating winds and bogs being too full of water in the cold weather, especially in small bogs, always incorporate a removable drain and guard against the other threats as best you can, large mass is a good safeguard if they are outside all year.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Thank you for you advice,I am pleased to hear that I can move some of my Plants out of the Conservatory into my Bog Garden,I have now ordered x2 of the collection of 6 different Sarracenia species and hybrids suitable for outdoor cultivation,from"Hewitt-Cooper Carnivorous Plants" and they should be perfect to get the ball rolling!.

I am a total total noob!!!!.

welcome Ezza   no ones a noob we all at to start somewhere and all have benefited from advice on this forum good luck with the bog garden

• Like 1

welcome Ezza   no ones a noob we all at to start somewhere and all have benefited from advice on this forum good luck with the bog garden

20 hours ago, Ezza said:

Thank you for you advice,I am pleased to hear that I can move some of my Plants out of the Conservatory into my Bog Garden,I have now ordered x2 of the collection of 6 different Sarracenia species and hybrids suitable for outdoor cultivation,from"Hewitt-Cooper Carnivorous Plants" and they should be perfect to get the ball rolling!.

I am a total total noob!!!!.

You have done the right thing Nigels plants will serve you well, and you can add to them as your confidence grows.

Good luck with the bog, let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ezza said:

Hi which Sundews can survive outside in Uk?

Can Drosera capillium x intermediate ?

Rotundifolia, intermedia and anglica and the hybrids of them for sure. Filliformis var. filliformis will also work, and so will T-form binata's. The binata's will die back in winter but sprout from roots again in spring.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I grow Darlingtonia californica outside in the rim of my pond too - too a bit of a hit this year but two plants still coming up.  Wasn't that cold so it isn't the cold it doesn't like!  Its been snow and iced in previously.....   Never gets to the size of the greenhouse plants but that's all.