Hello From Essex!

MikiandHenry

Hi all, my name is Miki and I thought I'd join this group to learn as much as I can about carnivorous plants. I got my first one at the beginning of the week a sarracenia and I've ordered some different seeds to have a go at I'm hoping to fill my greenhouse (and my new bigger greenhouse when it's built!) with these fascinating plants. I'm off to a different local garden centre this weekend so hopefully they will have a nice selection of carnivorous plants as they tend to stock the unusual. I have just started making a 'bog garden' I have a new veg trug that I've lined the bottom of to hold some moisture then filled and is now waiting for plants to fill it. The plant I'm most interested in owning and would love to have a collection of are nepenthes. I love their pitchers and colours and the different varieties of them! I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them so I can tailor my new greenhouse to be suitable for their needs!

I look forward to talking to you all!

Miki

• Like 1

Welcome to the CPUK 

I would steer clear of the Garden centres the most reliable seller I have found 

is here http://www.hantsflytrap.com/sarracenia-namerican-pitcher-13-c.asp Hampshire  Carnivorous Plants

and of course you can buy off the members on here after you have been on here a few weeks.

Good luck very good hobby

Edited by Deltatango301
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum plenty of advise to be had on here.Get yourself a copy of Savage Garden by Peter D`Amato revised edition.

I would also endorse Terry`s comments re buying of stock

Enjoy your new hobby

• Like 1

Thank you all. I've seen Hampshire Carnivorous Plants and have my eye on a couple of plants from there (especially the nepenthes rajah x mira!), I get paid next week so fingers crossed they still have it in stock!

On 31/03/2017 at 3:29 PM, MikiandHenry said:

Hi! I am learning very quickly how addictive it is!

Hi there, welcome to the site.

I work near Stanford le hope which is fairly close to you I believe. This site is full of excellent advice and I agree with the already said comments. 

Nepenthes are beautiful but as there are highland and lowland species , some are easy, some are difficult and nearly all will need to be kept above freezing through winter, something to consider which is why I still only have one in my bathroom. 

Good luck and don't hesitate to post or pm 

all the best

blocky

Edited by Blocky71
  • Like 1