Cold temperate Pinguicula temperature

Zlotka

I have read a lot about keeping temperate pinguiculas alive here in West-Europe. Still I got some questions about the heat. Can these pinguiculas handle highter temperatures in summer? In my greenhouse it can get up to about 37 degrees celsius. Will they handle this? Will be P. grandiflora, P. longifolia, P. grandiflora x vallisneriifolia, P. macroceras, P. poldinii x grandiflora and P. spec. Rio Ara.

Thanks.

Edited by Zlotka

Hi Zlotka, my P. grandiflora are dormant during the summer and I just leave the pots in the greenhouse where temps easily each 30+C.  They're all busy flowering (also in the greenhouse) right now so don't seem to have come to any harm.  I read somewhere that they should be kept cooler but I don't have anywhere outside where I could shelter them from rain.  I don't have any experience of the other species you mentioned unfortunately.

I think as long as the humidity is high and the sunlight isn't too strong they will be fine. I got a grandiflora last year as my first temperate Ping, and it could not even handle temps much above 30 °C, however, I can only keep it in full sun or full shade, and full shad will not work for the plant. It is also very dry during the summer in my climate. The plant did much better after bringing it under lights indoors, where the max temp was only around 28°C

• 2 weeks later...

I see, until now they are doing fine in the greenhouse. The highest temperature I've spotted was around 36 Celsius, but very humid. If we get days where te outside temperature will be above 27 Celsius I could bring them outside.

I would believe that high humidity would help mitigate the effects of heat. Mine likely struggled more during just 30 °C weather because our summers are very dry (30% humidity and below)

Bonjour

keep all these ping,  out door all the time .

Preferably with the morning sun , always with a wet substrate .

jeff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeff 1 said:

Bonjour

keep all these ping,  out door all the time .

Preferably with the morning sun , always with a wet substrate .

jeff

They are sitting in the greenhouse now because the temperatures are fairly low and they do quite well. I will have to look for a place where I can keep them outside not standing in full sun the whole day and where they are protected from rain. 

Will they really suffer if i keep them in the greenhouse?

too high temperatures for too long is not good for most temperate pinguicula. They will go dark green,have deformed leaves,rot from the inside of the growth point and die. Some can stand high temperatures for longer but really they like it cool and bright with fresh air

• Like 2

Bonjour

look for a outdoor place , in morning sun , in mid -shadow or shadow    always wet by capillarity  attention to substrate  here you have calcareous and acid species.

They will go dark green,have deformed leaves,rot from the inside of the growth point and die

here in my home, the effect of a strong heat or a strong frost is the same, transparent leaves cooked (like a cooked  salad leaves)

jeff

• Like 2