Is it just me...

Loakesy

...is there any one else in the south of England whose Sarracenia are being really slow this year?

I have a display/sale in May, and might have to cancel due to lack of good quality, saleable plants...

I'm in Kent and my plants have only really been active for a couple of weeks or so....

As it's only just officially turned spring I don't feel behind regarding growth, they really take off once they sprout so you may still get some decent growth before your display mate.

What show / display are you doing ?

I have several flower buds just starting to show. I think the tallest is probably about 4 inches tall. Absolutely no leaf growth whatsoever yet!

I was invited to hold a table at the Hayes Horticultural Society open day, in Hayes (Kent) in May. One of the society members was a judge at my local allotment society open day last year, and was so taken by the Sarracenia I displayed, that she visited my polytunnel, and left with a trayful of plants. I left with a pocketful of cash and an invite to the show... I'm not convinced I'll be ready.

Some of my plants have flowers at  12" and pitchers coming at 4" my Greenhouse

sits next to 2 walls and I think this makes it warmer in the greenhouse 

if you zoom in you can see the flowers, but not blooming yet.

large.IMG_1439.JPG.7f83b99ed3626e39422ac1a2197cef1f.JPG

Edited by Deltatango301
  • Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:19 PM, ada said:

try living up north Andy,my biggest flower is only about 4 inches,the others are only just coming out of the rhizome if that

Mine too but not up North in the Midlands

Sounds like we're all at roughly the same stage, although Delta's plants seem to be slightly ahead.

I have flower buds appearing and the start of some activity at the rhizomes on my sarras. 

A good number of my vft's are sending up new traps and drosera are appearing throughout my collection ....,