Cutting back

Tomaso Boroni

Hello,

new to carnivores I bought a selection last year with a couple of Sarracenias among them. With the growing instructions came advice to a) put them in a cool place during winter and b) cut back the leafs that turn brown. They are still in a porch where temperatures can go down to single figures, and they seem to be doing well. However, none of the trumpets has died back completely. Some are still fully green and some have turned brown to various degrees but only to a maximum of about 2/3s down. Do I cut all back / only the ones that show brown parts regardless of how far down / none?

Thank you for your advice

Tomaso

I personally cut away the pitcher to a small amount under the brown bit. If 1/3 of the pitcher is brown I usually cut half of the pitcher off. The pitchers that look healthy are just left on completely, at least until the plant has produced new pitchers to replace them

Edited by Rory

only cut down to under brown they well may be still "food" in the lower pitchers that the plant will still feed on