Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GRB

Utricularia sp. hermanus - leaf traps?

2 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed traps arising from the leaves in U. sp. "Hermanus"? I noticed a small row of traps in the middle of the leaves the other day. At first I thought some small stalked "animacules" (e.g like a big Stentor) had taken up residence, but under the microscope they appear to be traps.

I don't think I've ever seen this on any other species of Utricularia (I'm no expert though). Is this something found in other species? Is it a character that defines U. sp."Hermanus"?

I tried a quick google but didn't have much luck finding other examples (the only one close I could fine was be U.graminifolia, but these seem to be coming off leaf+stolon extensions of the plant, rather than directly from the leaves).

I'll try to get a photograph later. 

Cheers,

Grant

Here are some photos - The first photo (6.3x mag) shows the general form as best I could snap quickly under the microscope. The second is taken at 12.5x mag and shows individual traps.

I'm sure someone else has noticed this, but I was still excited to see something "new" nonetheless.

-Grant

Utricularia sp hermanus 6.jpg

Utricularia sp hermanus 12.jpg