Picavorus

Bromeliads

12 posts in this topic

I've been given a mature bromeliad and am wondering on the best way to care for it.  Do I keep it in the terrarium with the Neps, put it out with the Sarracenia or just keep it on the windowledge with the orchids?

How about a pic ?

Harro

Even if you can't post a photo, could you give us a description ?

It could be an urn plant. They are quite large, grey colour, and with slightly serated edges. I can't remember the genus. It is something fasciata

Just remembered, with the help of Google, Aechmia fasciata.

Easy plants to keep on a north facing window sill. To flower, put an apple on the surface of the pot, put the pot in an opaque white swing bin liner for a month . Bring the pot out and the plant will flower within two weeks. The flowers last a long time but the main plant will die after flowering. It will throw up pups and you just repot them.

I feed mine with Baby Bio when I water it.

Thanks, this is it.  It just says Bromeliad, and I've noticed that it fills like a pitcher

IMG_1021.JPG

It's exactly as I guessed above. It is an urn plant or Aechmia fasciata. It's quite a mature one, ready to flower. I normally let mine flower in August time which seems about right to me. It will not flower by itself, they need ethene from a ripe apple. Do exactly as I said above and the plant is guaranteed to flower. You can leave the bag over the plant for a month to six weeks. Take the bag off and you will notice the flower stem coming up, easy. The flower lasts quite a long time. After this, it will put up pups. Let them get to six inches and repot in a peaty mix. I use pure coir.

PS The main plant will die after flowering so you will need to break off the pups and repot them.

That's fab, thanks.  I'll look forward to bringing it into flower later in the year, although it seems a shame that it'll die off.

Please don`t use tap water. It´s mostly to calcarous. Rainwater is perfect. The urn should be always filled with water.

Thanks

ALTHOUGH RAINWATER IS GOOD FOR IT, YOU CAN USE HARD TAPWATER. I HAVE GROWN ONE OVER SEVERAL FLOWERING AND REPOTING CYCLES. lEAVING WATER N THE URN IS FINE BUT I WOULDN'T DO THIS WHEN THE PLANT IS COMING INTO FLOWER.

sorry TO DIAGREE WITH THE ABOVE POSTER.  ALSO, I DO APOLOGISE IF THIS MESSAGE HAS COME OUT IN CAPITALS, I COULDN'T FIND OUT HOW TO STOP IT.

Thanks, our tap water is very soft