Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tropicbreeze

Nerw Nepenthes

7 posts in this topic

I'm new to Nepenthes but I recently bought one from one of the big stores. I'm assuming it's a ventricosa. Didn't realise it at first but it's flowering, male. It has one good pitcher and 2 that are past their 'use by date'. Pitcher and leaves are quite large.

The soil in the pot is very light but full of slow release fertiliser. Looked like there had been a handful of fertiliser thrown on the top of the soil as well. So my main question is should I replace the soil (and the slow release fertiliser)? I understand Nepenthes like most cps don't like inorganic fertilisers.

There are red brown blotches on some of the leaves, and a larger blotch which looks like sunburn. I don't know whether the smaller blotches are natural or a result of the fertiliser.

cp_n_17030102.jpg

cp_n_17030103.jpg

cp_n_17030105.jpg

Hi  i'm not a neps expert too, to me it look more a x miranda. If i'm not wrong ,from the photo, there are some red spot inside the pitcher and this should be the biggest difference from the x gentle, but repeat i'm not expert.

Thanks Picol. I was also hoping for an opinion on the slow release fertiliser in the potting soil but anyway, I'll replace it. There are reddish spots inside the pitcher. Here's a couple more photos giving an idea of the size of pitcher and the inside of it. Thanks again for your input.

cp_n_17030201.jpg

cp_n_17030202.jpg

Looks like a x Miranda to me, if there is fertiliser in the medium i would re-pot it as this can cause issues. A weak orchid fertilizer as a foliar feed is sufficient for nepenthes as they are bad at taking up nutrients via the roots.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks TCurrel. Funnily enough, the advice on the tag that was on the plant said not to give it fertiliser. However, the soil was full of it. The nursery that produced it doesn't seem too good at taking its own advice.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Theres a lot of opinions on fertiliser.  My view is something weak like orchid fertiliser is good for the plants and you can see a huge jump in seedling size if you get it right.

Some people do use slow release fertiliser, i have on occasion.  What dont want to do is overdo it and burn the roots.

The pitchers are small for a miranda, best just to call it a maxima hybrid for the being.

Edited by manders
1 person likes this

Thanks for the comment Manders. It does get a bit complicated. I think they did over do it with the slow release. There was a lot all through the soil and then a handful of it sitting on top of the soil. The plant is starting to develop a lot of new pitchers now but we're in our wet season. There's also 3 new shoots coming up from the soil. This morning it was 30C and 90% humidity, but dry season it'll be far from that.