Greenhouse or polytunnel dilemma

I'm going to move most of my Sarracenia to my allotment due to having to remove my large growhouse from the sunny side of the house.  As it's south facing and gets sun all day up there.  However, I'm in a dilemma as to which is better, a solid steel framed polytunnel or a glass greenhouse?  I've actually got both, but can only have one or the other.  At the top of the plot there is a footpath that runs between the two sites of the local secondary school.  A polytunnel cover is going to be cheaper to replace than glass if there's damage, but the greenhouse has more ventilation.  I'm currently using the polytunnel for seeds and shelter, but a couple of trays won't take much moving to a greenhouse if I choose that.  It is a completely new site, so it has been a case of starting from a patch of field.  Any thoughts or advice on which is best to go for?  

I've had my plants on my allotment for several years now and have had a number of greenhouses of varying sizes. But after the most recent greenhouse blew over in some heavy winds last year I have opted for the 6m x 3m polytunnel. I definitely prefer the tunnel, because there is so much more space inside than the greenhouse. I have found that the plants seem to be more susceptible to botrytis in the tunnel in the winter than they are in the greenhouse, which is possibly because the tunnel always seems to be warmer inside than the greenhouse ever was.

Oddly enough, the council regulations at the site where my allotment is located state that we are allowed to have only one permanent structure (ie, shed or greenhouse) and it cannot be any larger than 6' x 4' (although the size regulation has been rarely adhered to). But you can have a polytunnel of whichever size you like, and still have your choice of either shed or greenhouse. I will hopefully be re-building a greenhouse this year...

So in response to your question: I'd definitely go for the tunnel!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After the vandals trashed my seed pots and smashed glass on greenhouses on Friday night, I've decided to stick with the polytunnel for the time being as it's cheaper to repair and see how things go - I've still got the greenhouse if things settle, or I may erect it at my Dad's for putting its and pieces in.

At present it's the polytunnel, which was originally going to be a fruit cage - but I'm half debating on fitting the greenhouse with polytunnel type plastic instead of glass to allow extra ventilation and to look better but easily and cheaply replaceable for any vandalism that occurs until we're sure whether things will calm down which will then allow me to replace the plastic with the glass which is safely stored away.  Hopefully we'll get some good weather to crack on with things.