Ping recommendations

Richard

Hi all, whilst I'm not new to CP in general I am new to Pings. Never really grew anything more than a couple of species before.

At the moment I have a P x Tina flowering it's little head off in my greenhouse and I can't help but think I'd like a few more!

What species can people recommend. My greenhouse is heated and minimum temperature recorded has been 4.9*c. Preferably I'd enjoy species that will throw up a flower or two in winter, but would also welcome recommendations for any species that can survive at this minimum temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!!! You can grow all mexican pinguiculas (that could flower either in winter)... pinguicula gigantea is my favourite one of mexicans, because it produces carnivorous leaves even in winter rosette and it produces dew in both sides of leaves... You can also grow in those conditions temperate (alpina, grandiflora, vulgaris...) and warm temperate pinguiculas (lusitanica, primuliflora, lutea, planifolia...)... temperate pinguiculas, in winter, produce hibernaculum... so, if You prefer winter flowers, they aren't the bests...

If You wants mexican ones, I suggest You a mineral substrat and no lot of water in winter... for temperate and warm temperates pinguiculas, You can always put 1 cm of water in tray, also in winter..

Good luck and, please, put some photos of Yours babies;-)

• Like 1

Hi!!! You can grow all mexican pinguiculas (that could flower either in winter)... pinguicula gigantea is my favourite one of mexicans, because it produces carnivorous leaves even in winter rosette and it produces dew in both sides of leaves... You can also grow in those conditions temperate (alpina, grandiflora, vulgaris...) and warm temperate pinguiculas (lusitanica, primuliflora, lutea, planifolia...)... temperate pinguiculas, in winter, produce hibernaculum... so, if You prefer winter flowers, they aren't the bests...
If You wants mexican ones, I suggest You a mineral substrat and no lot of water in winter... for temperate and warm temperates pinguiculas, You can always put 1 cm of water in tray, also in winter..
Good luck and, please, put some photos of Yours babies;-)

Thanks Argo.

I forgot to add I do grow P grandiflora as well, but it's in a sheltered spot outside.

Good to hear that the Mexican pings will be ok. Looks like that will be my area of concentration this summer!

Hi Richard,

A couple which always flower for me this time of year are P gracilis and P rotundiflora.  My minimum temp is slightly higher than yours but these plants should be OK for you I reckon.

• Like 1

My ping weser made 5 flowers for no apparent reason. I accidently pulled out a leaf. I threw the leaf in a tray that had some peat and a bit of water in it. The leaf is now developing to a new baby ping! I dont have much experience with them but this seems to be an easy one that i just grow in my window sill.

Edited by Tropicat
  • Like 1