Beware of a CP scammer

To all Carnivorous plant people. Please beware of someone who is asking for plants because of a fire in which the persons greenhouse supposedly caught fire. This is a scam that this person has been using for the last couple of years, with the sob story of 'I loved my plants, I don't know what to do'.

Most collectors will know who this person is. I know of emails that have been sent to friends this week, I have a copy of one of the emails. The fire supposedly started in the garage and spread to the greenhouse! Never before have we heard such rubbish, especially when this person was caught out about two years ago, posting photos of another well known growers plants, claiming they were the plants that were burned.

Please don't get caught out by this scammer, It is obtaining goods by deception in my opinion. There has been no fire that the person can show any evidence of, the person is just out to get a good collection for free by getting people to take pity. Be warned, don't be taken in you are being conned.

Sheila

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Killian said:

Not pointless at all, atleast people are warned now and will not fall for it.

Without being given name, nickname etc.. yes it is pointless.....for example I can think that u are that scammer...

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 3

To be honest it doesn't matter to me if you think I am the scammer, although I can assure you I am not. The point is, if you are asked about donating plants after a large house fire that spread to the greenhouse, you have been warned and will now be wary. If you aren't asked, it won't be a problem to you. 

As I am on the committee for the society, I am trying not to rock any boats for the rest of the committee by naming names, but I can assure you this is genuine and a quick search  will reveal the person who has already scammed several people with this almost two years ago and is now trying it on again.  Killian has already done a search and I can't confirm  that is the person, but let's be fair, how many people do you think would be stupid enough to try this scam? :wink:

On 29.01.2017 г. at 1:22 PM, gundog said:

and respect your right to hold back the name

Next time I'll start thread " Beware from eBay seller ".. but who is he?.....will let u to guess... as I'll keep my right to hold back the name :)

When someone starts with:  "Bewere of someone...." either u dare to say the truth who is he or better don't start public thread.

But I always enjoy such clever threads like this one :yes:

It is the worlds most pointless thread, i dont like cyrptic games either.... its probably the same person who was on the orchid site, where they got short shrift.  Either have the confidence and name them and get it out in the open or dont post.

Edited by manders

17 hours ago, dimitar said:

Next time I'll start thread " Beware from eBay seller ".. but who is he?.....will let u to guess... as I'll keep my right to hold back the name :)

When someone starts with:  "Bewere of someone...." either u dare to say the truth who is he or better don't start public thread.

Instead of being argumentative, why not be thankful that someone has taken the time to warn others of yet another scam?

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up Sheila. [emoji106]

If its bothering you soooooo much, pm her and ask for the name or ask what to search for to find the name.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Part of the reason i dont like this approach is its accusation by rumour.  If you know someone is scamming, name and shame and give them a chance to respond.  Its all very well that a quick search might find a culprit, but the approach is just wrong.

I allready know who your accusing because i remember the post from a while back.

Edited by manders
  • Like 2

Shame that scammers like that exist. I lost 90% of my collection in apparment with mildew and haven't whined for free plants, ever. Instead spent lots of money for new ones and will do so in future. Good to know that generous people do exist in this hobby but exploitation of that kindness deserves to be punished! IP ban at least.

Edited by Deadly Weapon
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, manders said:

Part of the reason i dont like this approach is its accusation by rumour.  If you know someone is scamming, name and shame and give them a chance to respond.  Its all very well that a quick search might find a culprit, but the approach is just wrong.

Exactly!

Because there are a lot of dickheads out there who will pick up the wrong posts, accuse the wrong person, and the whole thing ends up in a mess.  Do not run the site like the local housewifes gossip group.

To be fair, the original poster has explained the reasons why she is not able to name the person. She has probably gone a step too far just by creating this thread but has done so to warn people.

I have no idea who the alleged person is, but I do know if I suddenly get an email begging for plants I have been forewarned and will be cautious.

• Like 1

Yeah, i didnt understand the reasons, was one of the committee the scammer?  Ok im being fascetious, but when communication is not clear thats the sort of interpretations that can happen.

At the end of the day, its not big a deal and if got a begging email for plants my first thought is allways going to be its a fraud.  

In the past the forum was allways very open about naming fraudulent traders or just bad service, if thats going to change it is not an improvement.

• Like 1