Peat free mix? Where to get?

Jwall

Could anyone tell me where you can order large bags of pine bark fines, pine bark microchips and Cornish grit as per mike kings mix? I'm in Scotland and would need delivery to my house, Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bark is from a company called melcourt, here's a link to there website, the cornish grit I'm not sure about, but as it's just weathered granite that has broken down, I know it's used for bonsai too! Hope this helps a bit. I was trying to think of the word for broken down granite and it's illuviated cornish granite grit.
Cheers

Mark

There Adult plants mostly in 1 ltr or 5ltr pots! So just worked out I need about 400ltrs of mixed potting medium! The majority of my plants are from , MK, insectfang, Hampshire carnivorous plants but some seed grown from CPUK seed bank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's going to be some repot! Can't wait for the Scottish branch open day at your place next year! We'll most likely meet up in December for a Christmas meal/night out, will let you know ASAP.
Never used a peat free mix with sarracenia before so can't add anything about that, but I'm waiting on a message for some info for you.
Cheers

Mark

Adult plants with a good root system should be O.K.The only draw back i can see for you is the shorter growing season up where you live,the plants might not get enough nutrients to thrive in a shorter time.

Seedlings i wouldn't use anything else than peat mixtures with perlite,you can see some posts i did in the peat free growing topics,seedlings need peat,they get something from it other mixes don't have.Other growers have said they have used peat free mixes but have not shown their results on here,so you can assume its rubbish.i am talking about growing in cold damp U.K not any warmer climates!

Don't waste your time growing seedlings in anything but peat!  unless you can provide extra heat and light for some or all of the colder months while they are small,then you'll have to risk them to the cold on their first dormancy

A big thanks for everyone's help and advice! I just wanted to try a different mix to improve vigorous growth! Despite a cold winter temperatures have already been down to -8oC I've had summer temps in the greenhouse up to 46oC and they really love it! e744dbdf79eea80817ed377e5719173e.jpg
546a121c3747e2c15a9731af8f89a38d.jpg
c4d205024625d94e095861bca8403c1d.jpg
It must be the south facing aspect that gives them loads of light !

• Like 1

Hi 

The melcourt growth pinebark 

75 litre bags £5.10   a bag

if you got 4 bags delivery to UK mainland   very expensive   £25

Delivery To Scotland  you need to contact  company  for a quote 

You can obtain it from Here 

Here is a link 

www.jfcmonro.co.uk

Edited by nev3970