Why isn't my D. Intermedia growing any more?

One of my favourite plants was my D. Intermedia, which was growing very nicely a few months ago. Then the hot weather kicked in, and it dried up. I noticed some new growth, so wasn't worried. However, it's now been about three months since I saw that, and it hasn't grown any further.

Anyone any suggestions? As you can see form the second picture, there are several new growth points, they just aren't doing anything.

P1100977adjusted.jpg

P1110739adjusted.jpg

1 minute ago, ada said:

Its gone dormant for winter.Temperate drosera do that,same as anglica and rotundiflora.

But it did this in the middle of the summer! I could understand it if the plant was outside, or if the weather had gone colder, but it started growing again fairly quickly after that really hot spell, and the weather remained warm with long summer days for a good two months afterwards.

Not saying you're wrong, I'm a mere beginner compared to you, but I'm just very surprised at the suggestion. Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, just did some reading, and it looks like I might be giving it the wrong conditions anyway. I was told to keep it indoors as it didn't require dormancy, but this page seems to say they should be grown in a greenhouse and need to go dormant.

Please can you clarify this? I want to make sure I'm growing it correctly. Thanks again.

Some temperate plants can go dormant in the summer when it gets too hot.Temperate pinguicula can do this too.

They then start to grow again when it cools down if you are lucky,but this uses vital energy and sometimes the plant doesn't have enough reserves left to make it through the winter as a dormant hibernacula and dies.

It is far better to grow temperate plants as nature intended,afterall this is what they are evolved to cope with.

Far too many new growers think warmer is better for all carnivorous plants,this is not the case.please do your homework on your plants.

They will live longer,flower better and your pocket will feel the benefit too.

ada

Thanks for the reply.

I actually did do my homework. Before last winter, I posted here asking which of my plants needed to go dormant (that was before I had a greenhouse, and all were inside). I'm sure I was told that this one should be kept indoors as it didn't go dormant.

Having said that, I just checked The Savage Garden, and he says quite clearly they do need to go dormant, so either I was misinformed, or I got it wrong!

So, out into the greenhouse it goes. Looks like I better check up on the rest of my plants and make sure I've got it right with them too. My current understanding is that the following should/can stay indoors all year round...

• All nepenthes
  • D. Aliciea
  • D. Spatulata
  • D. Madagascarii
  • D. nidiformis
  • All heliamphora

Any comments on that? Those are the one I have indoors. The greenhouse is mainly sarras, D. California, VFTs and various Drosera that need dormancy, such as capensis and binata.

Thanks again.

They are your plants, you can keep them where you like.

the aim is to grow them,not kill them. We can all make mistakes from time to time.

So if you are unsure,re read some books or posts on the net but remember we are in cold,damp England not california.You will have to learn what plants grow well in the conditions you can provide.

ada

1 minute ago, corky said:

I don't grow d. Intermedia, but you may of had the wrong information, there are both tropical and temperate forms, just a thought maybe this caused some confusion

Hmm, so how would I know which I have?