Nice shape and size pitcher

mobile

I've got a number of seed grown Cephalotus, all about 2½ years old. This is one that I hadn't really noticed, as it was in a mixed pot, but a good friend pointed out the nice shape and the relatively large pitcher compared to the other Cephalotus of the same age.

KTD4Uwb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice one here. Always is a pleasure for me to see seed grown plants but sadly people avoid growing them from seed. Keep up the good job. 

During the years from seed grown plants I succeeded selecting 2 very interesting plants C. Northcliffe DD-C001 and the squatish C. Coal Mine Beach DD-C002 , a plant that tends to grow shorter and wider..

C. Northcliffe DD-C001

14188368_1098017853569120_45356632191122

C. Coal MIne Beach DD-C002

13178615_1019830371387869_38095538780258

• Like 2

@dimitar, they are both very nice clones. I think there is sometimes a misconception that seed grown Cephalotus will take on the characteristics of there parents and that self crosses will too. This is clearly not the case in the instance of my seeds grown plants, as I see variance in plants grown from seed from the same parents.

58 minutes ago, mobile said:
@dimitar, they are both very nice clones. I think there is sometimes a misconception that seed grown Cephalotus will take on the characteristics of their parents and that self crosses will too. This is clearly not the case in the instance of my seeds grown plants, as I see variance in plants grown from seed from the same parents.

I can agree with that, they have a genetic code and we don't know what is dominant or not in cephalotus.

1 hour ago, mobile said:

I think there is sometimes a misconception that seed grown Cephalotus will take on the characteristics of there parents and that self crosses will too. This is clearly not the case in the instance of my seeds grown plants, as I see variance in plants grown from seed from the same parents.

I tend to agree with you. I think variety occurs in the wild as well, so in one particular location different shaped plants can be observed and it is wrong to think that only one shaped plant grows in one particular location... but anyway, I haven't seen so far plant tending to grow with vertical lids from CMB location. The lids are always domed and it is hard to be mistaken...

Edited by dimitar

Hi Carl, where do you get your fine orchid bark from? I've got some fine orchiata bark at home for my orchids, don't want to use it with cp's as it is treated with dolomite, I'm waiting for an email back from besgrow to see if it can be washed off, as this bark is really hard and very long lasting compared to other brands!

Mark

12 minutes ago, Tropicat said:

why did you decide to use bark as a top dressing? I noticed a lot of ppl use sand or aq. gravel as top dressing to keep algae or mosses away? 

In my experience none of these top dressings keep moss at bay for long. I just used bark for decorative purposes but when mixed through the growing medium is adds drainage and I suspect its slow decomposition adds a little nitrogen. 

@Tropicat, I only have one growing vertically which I have to say is not looking too great due to my poor watering regime. Problem with vertical growing is the plants at the top do not get much water unless you totally submerge the pot occasionally.

• 6 months later...