truncata or robcantleyi?

Numbersix

Hi all,

Whilst searching this evening for a reasonably priced example of N robcantleyi to add to my collection I came across some information that suggests I may already be growing the species?! I bought an example of N truncata 'queen of hearts' directly from Borneo exotics from their stand at the Chelsea Flower show in 2011. Having seen their fantastic display plant of this species I enquired how I could obtain an example and I was offered a very small plant for £20. I bought that plant despite worrying that it was so tiny I would kill it! 5 years on and this is the same plant windowsill grown;

P1220190_zpsorzosdeq.jpg

P1220192_zpshpvyvubk.jpg

What I seem to have found this evening is that this N truncata was reclassified as N robcantleyi later that year having been assumed to be a truncata up until then and is now regarded as N robcantleyi 'Queen of Hearts'. Have I got this correct or are these not the same plant? The pitchers on my plant certainly seem to be going the right way for robcantleyi.

Cheers

Rich

Edited by Numbersix
  • Like 1

Hi to clear things up a bit borneo exotics have something like six or seven (i can't quite remember) n robcantleyi that grew from the legally wild collected seed, they have pet names to the plants and also because people might be interested in which patents were used to make species n robcantleyi seed, the names are as follows, Queen of hearts, King of spades, King of clubs, King of hearts and there is three other unnamed plants 2 that haven't flowered yet and maybe an unnamed female. So your plant is n robcantleyi Queen of hearts x King of spades, there were two releases the first one was all individuals from seed and the second later release was a random assortment of 550 clones. I think when you got yours that it would be one from the first release.
Hope this helps a bit.
Best regards

Mark

Thanks for the replies guys, that does help a lot. At least I now know I have a N robcantleyi in my collection so that's one less to chase! Thankfully I have a pure truncata and numerous truncata crosses to keep the truncata side covered.

• Like 1

All my windowsill grown neps have saucers/ containers under them and I water from above until I see it run through into the saucer. I wait until that has dried up and the sphagnum feels drier before the next watering. They don't really stand in water as such but I have to catch the water in something or my other half would be livid! My lowland neps in my terrarium I just let drain through as there is a water layer at the base of it so no harm there. I know people have mixed results with windowsill grown highlands but I do ok for them (although have run out of space). Heres my N boschiana as an example.

P1220198_zpsikoe4fuo.jpg

Edited by Numbersix
missed out a word
  • Like 1