Epic battle going on in my pond - what are these creatures?

Had a look in the pond in my greenhouse yesterday, and spotted what looked like a maggot being attacked by a swarm of tiny brown creatures. I've seen lots of these brown things, they scuttle around the bottom of the pond. At the time, I couldn't work out if the maggot-like thing was alive and struggling, or if it was the little brown things that were pushing it around.

Just been out there again, and the battle is still going on. Or at least, the brown things are swarming around the rather lifeless looking big thing, so it could be that the battle is long over, and it's just the feasting that's still in progress!

Anyone any idea what either of these things are, and is it anything I need to be concerned about, or do I just leave them to it? Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, it's pretty hard to get a clear picture under the water...

160918BugsEatingABug.jpg

Those brown things are around 1mm long.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I have no idea where they came from though. I wonder if something fell in the water and died, and the maggots were attracted by the rotting body. Ugh, makes me shudder to think about it!

Do I need to worry about my plants, or is this just something that's likely to be in the water?

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to empty it all out. Not sure how I'm going to do that, but it had to happen at some point!

It's easy for me to clean out my trays I have 6 separate ones which is handy for cleaning

i did all my six trays last week after the storm filled all my water butts. 500 Ltrs 

but my trays were getting a lot of algae did not like it  so cleaned them all out after 11 months

On 9/18/2016 at 6:52 PM, acheta said:

They look like Ostracods, which are harmless

Yup, that's the little fellas. Glad to hear they are harmless. That way I only need worry about removing the maggots, and finding their source. being somewhat bigger, that should be easier.

Thanks for that