Rescued Cephalotus

Picavorus

I rescued a poor Cephalotus whilst in the garden centre today. Some parts are totally dead, others not too bad - I think because it was bone dry. I've stood it in a bowl of rainwater, and will trim the dead parts off tomorrow once it's had chance to re-hydrate. I'm wondering if it would be best popped in the terrarium, bagged or just put in the greenhouse to give it the best chance of survival?

Personally I wouldn't worry about the bag, too much of a risk of mould and fungus, if there are rotting pitchers and leaves you have missed the bag will make it worse let air get in and stop the rot.

Me, I would place it some where bright but not strong light (eastern facing window?) and just keep moist not wet, you may even find that all the top growth will die, but stick with it with care they do grow back.

I have had one that didn't travel in the post well and all the top died but it's in full vigour now, different I know but they do bounce back

James

Thanks

This is after its trim up, but I forgot to do one before. Compared to before the pot looks almost empty (over half of it was completely dead, so removed), but what is left does look to be reasonably healthy. I've placed in on a windowledge for the time being, so just hoping for the best.

224306F2-9D50-422F-B4EE-699407DFC3C2.jpg

Thanks

This is after its trim up, but I forgot to do one before. Compared to before the pot looks almost empty (over half of it was completely dead, so removed), but what is left does look to be reasonably healthy. I've placed in on a windowledge for the time being, so just hoping for the best.224306F2-9D50-422F-B4EE-699407DFC3C2.jpg[/quote

It seems me not in bad conditions! Whats about the pitcher if You touch them?

I would do it like this:

Get off some more leafs or pitchers because the plant need to much energy to keep them all alive. Then get a tray or something alse where you can get a waterlevel up to 3-4 cm high. Put the pot in it and place it in the shadow.

26659395gw.jpg

Edited by Harro
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...