Cephalotus typical from Charles Brewer.

dimitar

Beautiful plant!!!! Really nice shape and colors! Dimitar, can I ask You a question? I love vertical lids that I see in a lot of your clones, also in the typical form... I've got three young cephalotus that are doing their first adult pitcher... Their lids are more closed than yours... Dó You think that it is due To their young edge or To wrong growing Conditions? Thank You very much! My dream is To have one day a cephalotus beautiful as the plant in these photos!!:-)

I love vertical lids that I see in a lot of your clones, also in the typical form... I've got three young cephalotus that are doing their first adult pitcher... Their lids are more closed than yours... Dó You think that it is due To their young edge or To wrong growing Conditions? 

Hello,

well, the vertical open lids are due to the plant genes and this doesn't depend on any growing conditions, so if  the plant has these genes it will form vertical open lids of the pitchers, no matter how young or old is the plant.

Here are examples of location seed grown plants where you can see even the youngest plants form vertical open lids. Just the first adult pitcher is with vertical open lid compared to other seed grown plants from the same batch that don't form vertical open lids, so to me this factor depends on the plant genes. 

Vertical open lid

P6240035_zpsi3y1egck.jpg

13466445_1042901575747415_61623347954751

Normal lid

13770337_1064866280217611_65207196076714

• Like 2

Thanks a lot, Dimitar!!!!

So my plant's don't have these genes;-) but perhaps in future I'll have one:-)

I've love yours seed grown cephalotus... Now i'm waiting my plants flowers to sow their seeds!

Please, post some other seed grown cephalotus photos;-)

Are you sure that the vertical lid is related with gene certainly?

No, I'm not sure, but I don't have another explanation myself. All my plants are greenhouse grown and they get one and the same conditions - light, sun, water, etc. and  it seems the ones that have these genes form vertical lids compared to others in same conditions that never form vertical lids....

But If you have better explantion, please share your thoughts.

Thanks a lot, Dimitar!!!!

So my plant's don't have these genes;-) but perhaps in future I'll have one:-)

I've love yours seed grown cephalotus... Now i'm waiting my plants flowers to sow their seeds!

Please, post some other seed grown cephalotus photos;-)

You are welcome!

I would be happy to see pictures of your plants as well.  Please, feel free to post them in this thread.  :tu:

Here is another seed grown plant with vertical lid posted especially for you.

P8030004_zpsuoeevx2e.jpg

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 1

My giant form (see a previous post) has always had the standard lids, however the most recent and biggest one has a vertical lid nearly turning inside out.

Not sure it can be solely attributed to genes, I suspect conditions play a part, as I have this year grown them behind the net curtains on a south facing window, where as last year they were fully exposed.

I think as with all Cephalotus it's just something we will never figure.

James

No, I'm not sure, but I don't have another explanation myself. All my plants are greenhouse grown and they get one and the same conditions - light, sun, water, etc. and  it seems the ones that have these genes form vertical lids compared to others in same conditions that never form vertical lids....

But If you have better explantion, please share your thoughts.

I would be happy to see pictures of your plants as well.  Please, feel free to post them in this thread.  :tu:

Here is another seed grown plant with vertical lid posted especially for you.

P8030004_zpsuoeevx2e.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!! It is a wonderful plant!!!! I'm very happy to see a plant so precious and To know that is Your, unique, because born from seed!!! At the moment I'm in holidays and I can't make photos, and I'm so "slow-mind" that I've enough learned to post photos in

Thread... But if You go in the public galery or in my galery You can see one photo of my young "big boy":-) I love cephalotus, but I've not a great experience with this plant, so I'm reding Your thrreads to learn more and I'm doing experience expecially with the "carniflora" typical form:-) :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 18/08/2016 at 3:13 AM, Pascal Kulms said:

Who is Charles brewer ? Does He sell his clones ?

Charles Brewer was one of the main sellers of Cephs in the USA, having learnt a lot about growing them from John Hammer.  He sells a range plants obtained from other well known growers as well as his own selected clones.  He is a member of this forum, but does not post very often.  I am not sure how many plants he sells these days, but years ago his plan was to have a least a 1000 stock plants to produce sales plants from.  I believe that he at least got close to that number.

Edited by Marcus B

9 hours ago, Marcus B said:

Charles Brewer was one of the main sellers of Cephs in the USA, having learnt a lot about growing them from John Hammer. He sells a range plants obtained from other well known growers as well as his own selected clones. 

Interesting. Which clones are they?

Edited by dimitar

15 hours ago, dimitar said:

Interesting. Which clones are they?

I know that he has plants that he got from Phil Mann, as well as the plants that he got from John Hummer (and if I remember correctly, a few other well known growers), and it is my understanding that he has also, like many of us, has grown plants from seed and selected the best as stock plants.  My understanding is that, apart from a few, he does not sell them as named clones, he merely vegetatively propagates his stock plants and sells most simply labelled as typicals.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

On 17/10/2016 at 10:46 PM, Bidde said:

Hallo Argo. Here is a picture of my Big Boy. So you can see how a Big Boy lookes.

1fe3c0-1476737461.jpg

Best regards Jörn

Hi Jorn!!!! can I ask You a question? I've seen your growing list (congratulations, beautiful!!!!!) and I noticed that near Your Big Boy You have wrote "the real one"... why, there are no real clones sold as big boy from sellers? I ask it to You because my friend that swapped with me a leaf cutting of "false big boy" is a very serious man and buyed the mother plant from a nursery... could somebody have deceived him? Or could my plant to be a real one that become so fore de extreme hot and dry climate of my growing conditions? Thanks a lot and don't be afraid to say me the true, for me it is not a problem to have a fake: I'm happy that my cephalotus, even typical, are doing well, and I'm waiting they'll make the flower to try to obtain new ones unique... like those that Dimitar obtained from seed and published their photos in this post... beautiful!!!!!;-)

Thanks a lot Jorn, and please, share with we some photos!!! :-)

Best regards,

Serse

3 hours ago, Argo88 said:

Or could my plant to be a real one that become so fore de extreme hot and dry climate of my growing conditions? 

Hello Sercse,

I don't think the hot climate does something weather the plant is real or not. I also live in hot climate... Just your plant is not C. "Big Boy" unfortunately. Please, make a comparison between your plant's shape and mine, so u can see the differences.

PA020013_zpsw9u7smip.jpg

Edited by dimitar
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, dimitar said:

Hello Sercse,

I don't think the hot climate does something weather the plant is real or not. I also live in hot climate... Just your plant is not C. "Big Boy" unfortunately. Please, make a comparison between your plant's shape and mine, so u can see the differences.

PA020013_zpsw9u7smip.jpg

Thanks Dimitar!!! It's absolutely another plant!!! Thanks for photo!! I'm only sorry from my friend that bought it as a "Big boy"... Those in my photo are thefirst adult pitchers, and the bigger are around 3 cm... So it is not a "giant" and it. Will make normal size pitcher, I think... Please, can You teach me a thing: when a cephalotus make the first pitcher, has it the shape of the pitcher of an mature one yet or the plant make the standard shape pitchers only later? Thanks a lot and sorry for the too much questions!!! Please, post some photos of Yours seed grown plants:biggrin: