Yippee jamesoniana producing a flower stalk on my windowsill

Mark Anderson

Hi everyone,

I've had my u jamesoniana on my SE bathroom windowsill for nearly a year now and after knocking it into the bath a few months ago, I thought I'd sent it back a year in growth but I'm happy to say it is gracing me with a flower stalk and all going well a beautiful flower. This is where I keep the majority of my orchidiodes utrics, quelchii ayuan and illu tepui, nelumbifolia, reniformis and mannii (I know it's not orchidiodes) which is producing a flower as I speak. Also my alpina has finally decided to flower after some years, funnily enough is not the large mother plant but one small division I kept when I sent some out to a couple of forum members, and one of there's is putting up a flower stalk as well. I'll post some pics once my phone has enough charge to use the flash. Oh and nephrophylla that I recently acquired with some lovely heli's from a very generous forum member funtofunky.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by carni grower
  • Like 2

Thank you lilacina, from you that is a real compliment:) yes campbelliana is the next one I need to acquire, really would like to try this one. I've got a large alpina in a se bedroom window hanging from curtain rail which refuses to flower and a small plant on a ne living room windowsill that's is producing it's flower buds now, the only difference is the living room is consistently warmer and less sun than the bedroom. The small alpina was in the bathroom over winter (the windowsill has the same orientation as the bedroom se) and then I moved it in early spring to the living room because it looked like it was getting to chilly in the bathroom. I also kept the substrate drier until late spring/summer.

The jamesoniana has always been kept in the bathroom in two different substrates, one is in a net pot which is filled two thirds with orchid bark and nz sphag in the best third, and the one producing a flower stalk is in a small tub with some drainage holes in the bottom, it's filled with nz sphag and had a strand of lfs thru a bottom hole in the centre. The container sits on a small net pot in a tray of water with only the Wick in the water, the net pot is just to lift it out the tray of water. Here's some pics.

69bd136db3e423ee265a56428bd062b3.jpgb3fbceb1cd21580a290e24c10cd42b68.jpgf8655beca718a6965efe1e95d796f52e.jpg5a95e992a95a924991139832d8d04f83.jpgd42d571682fdf0f9e3c803c377f4ef91.jpg

You can just see the flower stalk next to the small leaf on the right, not great pics as using my mobile

Edited by carni grower
  • Like 3

Nice collection Mark, I'm looking forward to seeing the flower. My own alpine is going to flower this year after missing last year. Wish my longifolia would oblige but it seems determined not to.

• Like 1

I'm so glad to hear that! Absolutely, all the plants you swapped with me are looking excellent and are in full health!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I thought it would should be time for another update, jamesoniana hasn't opened its flower yet but the bud is growing nicely, I've also recieved another jamesoniana from amuri tepui and after a little investigation I found out my other jamesoniana should be from Colombia.

He's a pic of the colombia one

0f9cc86ad2826476d7fb1959ba86f05a.jpg

And one of the amuri tepui

3009e47fca53dde029b7ff8c6d262103.jpg

Mark

Edited by carni grower
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The amuri clone has opened its flower now, still a bit of expanding to do but looking really nice :wub:

463b16a9f12a6ea1f1ac3108a41e5f5e.jpgf2211f7e548fb6f22eb06e39971a137b.jpgb40309440c15f2ccd06ad847c892646b.jpg92a75a4ea0d0a6473f1e090681cfc201.jpgd284a484dc79d94d4b17b916932a242b.jpg

Looking forward to the colombia clone opening is flower next and my alpina is about to open its first flower soon. Hopefully I'll be able to try some crosses between the three plants :)

Mark

• Like 5

This is the flower fully opened, you can see how small it is, that's my finger tip in the second photo. The Colombia clone is still at least a month away from opening, I would guess. It's really hard to get a good pic with a s3 that had seen is best days about 2 years ago, nearly being too the stage of holding it together with tape :(

33baf89c911ab8fbd2347d5d1de0fb70.jpg3731386963789693b8ac70acf0df328b.jpg

Mark

• Like 3

Thank you very much, yes I agree it would be interesting to see the difference if any between the clones. I never new that there was a peru clone! Do you know if it is available in Europe? Mark

I got it from Carnivoria but Best Carnivorous Plants also has it this year. I think the clones are from the same location.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...