Time to spray Sarracenia.

Richard Hole

Hello

When is the best time of the day to spray Sarracenia for thrips on sunny days when the maximum temperature is about 28°C and when there is a heavy dew?  I am spraying Yates Success that is described at http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-control/insects-concentrates/yates-success-ultra-insect-control/#5cLPUyQJOW5eMA1J.97 .  It says
"Do not spray when shade temperatures are near 28°C or higher"
"Contains spinetoram, the latest generation insect control derived from beneficial soil bacteria. Spinetoram has translaminar movement, which means it moves into the leaf, making the solution resistant to rain and sunlight six hours after application"

I used to do it just before at about sunset when it is cooler.  However, heavy dew only a couple of hours later concerned me.  However, now a grower suggested that the temperature only has to be below 28°C when the leaves are wet with the spray and that it can be warmer than that after it dries.  He therefore suggested spraying in the morning at about 9 or 10AM.  Is this correct?  Bear in mind the plants are in full sun and the temperature in the sun is higher than 28°C even at 9AM.  The above quote does refer to shade temperature though.

Your help is appreciated.
Regards Richard

Hi

I live at Tolga near Cairns in tropical Australia at an altitude of 757 meters and the dew is extremely heavy at the moment and wets things outside even by 9 PM.  A few people have suggested morning at about 9 AM just after the dew dries on the plants.

Do you know the best way to find out if thrips are on the plants before they do damage?  Would a microscope be needed?  I have struggled to see them through a magnifying glass. If I could identify how many are there it may save having to make a follow up spray as I did spray about 3 weeks ago.

Your help is appreciated

Regards Richard.

You'll be more likely to see the effects rather than the creatures, especially on new growth.

Presumably the only downside of the dew is that it dilutes the application. I'd still try early evening - you'll still have 3 hours or so before the dew forms. It won't have the same effect as rain, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.