Another year...

manders

Blocky, i was trying to reproduce the tree climbing habit of some vietcheiis, only partially succesfull as the light (when we have it) comes from the wrong direction, too low down rather than overhead, so some leaves get the wrong idea, and go in the wrong direction.

26869450663_1b7210bcf9_b.jpg

Edited by manders
  • Like 3

Yeah I like that a lot.....

Is it a pain to water?

I may try something similar but on a much smaller scale as my ' eymae ' or whatever it turns out to be doesn't look at its best with its pitchers all resting on the bathroom window ledge.....

Its planted in a large 'self watering' balconierre from stewarts, so it gets watered fairly infrequently and its very easy. The big brown tub top right is the sort of thing although its a different vietcheii.

I see it's a female veitchii too, lucky you. Don't suppose that you are selling any seeds?

Les

Les, we did pollinate it with some old boschiana pollen, no idea if they will be viable or not, but if they look ok when ready we can send some.

Stunning specimen! Nice seeing you grow some catts.

Regards,

Christer

We have a few, not counted but we probably have several hundred orchids.

Another few inches up the tree,

WOW! I am very impressed!

Dear Manders-san,

Konnichiwa!

May I ask a few questions?

I am quite unfamiliar with Nepenthes.

In fact, when I saw the pithcers in your photos in 2014, I thought your veitchiis were Bario (or Bareo) form.

Please go to: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53485&hl=veitchii

And now I am quite confused. I cannot identify which form of veitchii you have.

To avoid mess for my very limited Nepenthes growing area, it would be nice if Bario clone could climb a tree trunk voluntarily.

To my knowledge (very poor),

The lowland form (variation): an epiphytic form?, but not climbing a tree trunk like the highland climbing form

The highland Bario form (variation): as known an unusual terrestrial (prostrate) form

The higland climbing form (variation): the climbing (a tree trunk) form

Highland climbing form and Bario prostrate form,

Bario form is of the similar form as Highland climbing form ,as anyone could see by the dense bristles of its leaves(except on the adaxial surface?), stem and tendrils ,and the wavy-shaped leaves. Perhaps these features would be appropriate for climbing a tree trunk. I wonder Bario form could climb a tree trunk. What do you think of it?

The clone, which I would like to let it climb a tree trunk, is a small plant from N. veitchii (m) EP in the photos below. I obtained this clone from Mr. Yukio Kosaka. I use his photos with permission.

BTW,

Kosaka-san said he didn't know the name N. veitchii (m) indicated a single clone or multiple clones. His EP (m) has a feature that its peristome keeps expanded (not curl to backward) perpetually as far as all the pitcher's life. Also Kosaka-san said the peristome of N. veitchii (m) in the photo on the Mansell-san's facebook did not have Candy stripes and its peristome was curled to backward.

Anyone knows about (m) of N. veitchii EP?

26913159924_5f591512bd_b.jpg

photo 1: Kosaka-san's N. veitchii (m) EP

26914001403_eb02360c34_b.jpg

photo 2: Kosaka-san's N. veitchii (m) EP

27522263665_eb02360c34_b.jpg

photo 3: Kosaka-san's N. veitchii (m) EP

26914000743_a1a7d160b6_b.jpg

photo 4: Kosaka-san's N. veitchii (m) EP, an aged pitcher, the same pitcher in photo 3

Please note the peristome.

Kind regards from the Far East

Edited by PofW_Feathers

Hello Pofw-f', well i am a little confused myself. I got these vietcheiis from a thai nursery as being from Bario Highlands. The climbing form is from batu lawi, but batu lawi is part of the kelabit highlands as is Bario, Bario being the only sizeable town as far as i know. So both the batu lawi form and the bario from are from roughly the same area of malaysia, just different mountains i guess.

Now, i started this experiment off thinking it would not climb, but actually it climbs pretty well, although it needs a little encouragement as it does tend to lean towards the light and here in the uk the light is much more often low down near the horizon than it wold be near the equator.

So would this form climb withough help or encouragement? honestly i'm not sure and my artificial conditions dont help me to answer that question, (unfortunately i sold my batu lawi clone a few years ago) however i would say that its clearly cabable of climbing and maybe there is not much difference between the different forms but the climbng habit is a bit stronger in the batu lawi form. Maybe its just a difference in local conditions maybe someone who has been there can comment.

Anyway i would say that the highland forms seem to be capable of climbing, although you may need to tie the up occasionally to keep them going in the right direction.

• Like 1

Hello Pofw-f', well i am a little confused myself. I got these vietcheiis from a thai nursery as being from Bario Highlands. The climbing form is from batu lawi, but batu lawi is part of the kelabit highlands as is Bario, Bario being the only sizeable town as far as i know. So both the batu lawi form and the bario from are from roughly the same area of malaysia, just different mountains i guess.

Now, i started this experiment off thinking it would not climb, but actually it climbs pretty well, although it needs a little encouragement as it does tend to lean towards the light and here in the uk the light is much more often low down near the horizon than it wold be near the equator.

So would this form climb withough help or encouragement? honestly i'm not sure and my artificial conditions dont help me to answer that question, (unfortunately i sold my batu lawi clone a few years ago) however i would say that its clearly cabable of climbing and maybe there is not much difference between the different forms but the climbng habit is a bit stronger in the batu lawi form. Maybe its just a difference in local conditions maybe someone who has been there can comment.

Anyway i would say that the highland forms seem to be capable of climbing, although you may need to tie the up occasionally to keep them going in the right direction.

Dear Manders-san, 

Konnichiwa!

Thank you very much for the valuable information and good advice! Please keep posting. I will definitely try your fashion!

Kind regards from the Far East

Hi,

I would describe Bario as being locate at a highland plateau, and the N. veitchi there grow as terrestrials. I have only seen one plant "climbing" a tree there and it was more draped on an almost horizontal tree stem. Batu Lawi is one of the mountains on the plateau, as is the closer neighbor Batu Buli. I have climbed the latter, but didn't see veitchii, but it is supposed to grow there too, as well as the trail towards Batu Lawi. According to the guide it grows in another habitat, not the cloud forest, were you could find lowii, chaniana and tentaculata. Maybe a kerangas type habitat fits it better, like the Bario type only at higher altitude. The pics I have seen show them growing up high rather straight trees. In the mossy forest I saw, the trees were shorter, gnarlier and covered with thick moss. That might explain their absence there.

Regards,

Christer.

Edited by christerb
  • Like 1