Drosera Capensis varieties and differences....

KEPBEPOS

Hi to everyone!

I start this topic due to I have many varieties and locations of Drosera Capensis  but still do not see any diference between some varieties such as Drosera Capensis compact and Drosera Capensis wide leaf.The more I try to clear the differnce the more I confused...So I will try to expose the characteristics of each variety or location.

Flower differences

Drosera Capensis wide leaf 

P5290313.jpg

Drosera Capensis normal
P5290315.jpg

Drosera Capensis broad leaf
P5290316.jpg

Similarities

Drosera Capensis wide leaf
IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

Drosera Capensis compact 
P5290358.jpg

New update! 
Drosera Capensis Crested leaf!
The mutant flower!
P6030362.jpgsc

Drosera capensis - Dark maroon, BG Bonn

This variety start to take coloration on Octomber the full and hot  sun  does not change the coloration it prefear full and cool sun, also It is very sensitive to hight temberatures (45 C )in adition with all the other varieties although the greenhousehas 30% shade, from the 16 plants I had on May only 6 servive until now the rest of them dry out but they caming  back from the roots just like in the winter when they froze!!!!

IMAG1047.jpg

Drosera capensis mini red!
Although it is not adult yet ,the growing rate is very  very low it needs the double time from the other varieties to come to the same size!

IMAG0295.jpg

Drosera capensis "Merry go round"
Very narrow leaf , I think that it is  narrowest drosera capensis that I have even in contrast with "Narrow leaf"!Almost the lalf of the width on normal capensis.
Edited by KEPBEPOS
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

wow that looks pretty amazing. I have drosera capensis alba for a couple of years. Last winter i didnt have enough space for them and they suffered lack of light. It made them grow weird, some leaves looked mutated like this. I did'nt understabd it but they look similar like yours. Is this the characteristic of the species?

The plants are growing in greenhouse in full sun ,  the characteristic of this variety is the mutant flower  like the pictures that I post over , but the plants that I had last year as "crested" does not mature all (the mature does not have those mutations )so Iam not sure if it is permanent or not, but I hope to be......a new variety like this it would be amazing!

Two years  now I did not see somthing like that maybe becouse  this time plants came from their roots and this characteristic formed during this process also from the pictures that I see in web the plants with this characteristics came from their roots too.

Interesting! Do you know if these varieties are stable when grown from selfed plants? Maybe difficult when you grow so many varieties side by side (hard to exclude hybridization), but maybe you tried this?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KEPBEPOS said:

Two years  now I did not see somthing like that maybe becouse  this time plants came from their roots and this characteristic formed during this process also from the pictures that I see in web the plants with this characteristics came from their roots too.

Yes, the "creasted" caracter is much more expressed on offsprings from roots. But I sometimes have a few creasted leaves (only during spring) on stems that never stopped growing.

2 hours ago, Martin7bergen said:

Interesting! Do you know if these varieties are stable when grown from selfed plants? Maybe difficult when you grow so many varieties side by side (hard to exclude hybridization), but maybe you tried this?

The plants growing isolated with shell wrapper  around them and not free side by side but as far as I can see this mutation appear when the plants came back from their roots due to I had adult plants last year that I grew them from seeds and I did not see somthing like that maybe I miss that as kisscool said!

Yes, for the crested variety this might be a mutation only present in parts of the plant. It could be caused by in-vitro propagation. In that case, it could also be a epigenetic thing, that means that it is caused by a change in the way the DNA is transcribed and not by a change in the DNA itself. This will become a bit technical for most of you, bottom line is that it is possible that the crested mutation is not inherited by seed to the next generation, but there is also a chance that it will be. So that will be nice to test. Typical for epigenetic traits is that they sometimes can appear or disappear with different circumstances (stress factors for example). That seems to be the case if I read your observations.
Other examples of in-vitro triggered mutations (very likely at least) you can see in all the weird Dionaea mutants in cultivation.

I think Kepbepos got it from the seeds I sold to him. So yes it is inherited by seeds.

As for myself, I bought plants from Nature et Paysages. As far as I know, he is not propagating it by in vitro. I will ask him next time I see him, but I think it was a selection from his seedlings from normal plants.