Can you ID this VFT

Deltatango301

Deltatango, Loaksey wasn't trying to be rude. Without a label from a reputable source it's almost impossible to ID a cultivar. Look at the red forms, there are so many in circulation now could you tell Akai Ryu, from Claytons Volcanic red or Ruby red?

For the record, your plant looks very much like a typical, I see no outstanding features. I've had thin leaves develop on many plants I've grown in the past.

• Like 1

Hey Deltatango, don't be silly, you haven't offended anyone! It can be quite tricky to get the point over without sounding like an ass. If anything it should be me apologising if any offence was taken.

Edited by Richard

Everyone is right about not labelling it when guesswork is involved. This is why is it important to keep accurate records when you acquire a plant. Even if the plant is a purchased with no name attached keep a record of when, where and whom. Obsessive I guess but it could be useful sometime.

Just to add my view on what it could be (and no don't label it as such naughty, naughty) it has a central red spot which in my collection leans towards a parentage of BCP's H series.

Have a look on the website at their old records and photographs. There are plenty of other posibilities and guessing keeps collecting fun.

Also don't let the weirdly formed trap fool you into thinking it's something new as I have seen this occur occasionally (though not frequently) in the odd one of my plants.

Dionaea isn't like sarracenia to some extent. There is one species and individuals can vary a lot. There are plenty of cultivars but most are difficult to ID on their own.

It's entirely possible you do have a cultivar but it's impossible to tell without the label.

it can occur in any VFT. It can have nothing to do with genetics. It could be down to one or a combination of things like temp fluctuations, disease, nutrient deficiency, mechanical shock, insect damage and other things i havent thought of.

Here is an hypothesis, i have no evidence to support it.

your plant looks like it has just started to grow after dormancy. maybe it has insufficient elements to produce an even dence pigmentation so the plant (through natural selection) has devised a strategy to lay down the sparse amount of pigment it is able to produce mainly where it it will be most effective. ie in the centre of the traps so attracting insects there where there is greater chance of a successful capture.

Look at the plant later in the year and see if the pattern still exists. if so then it maybe a genetically controlled characteristic. however, if the traps then show normal pigmentation then it is probably and environmental factor.

Edited by mantrid

Indded I wasn't trying to be rude, so please don't take offence. I was merely trying to point out, as Richard said, that without a label and a source of info you cannot call the plant by a previously registered (or unregistered) name unless it's one you make up for yourself, but in my opinion there are too many different names for some very typical looking plants and some that should have ended up on the compost heap!!

• Like 1