When and how do I collect my Sarra seeds?

Pardon the dumb question, but this is the first time I've had Sarras in flower, and I don't want to do it wrong.

I'd like to collect the seeds, so I can have a go at raising the next generation. I have a few in flower, one of which is already wilting. On another, I can see inside the flower, and the "floor" (for want of a better description) is covered with what looks like seeds. If they are, I don't want to lose them when the flowers wilts.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

That'll be the spent stamens you're seeing not seeds. Have you pollinated your flowers?

Nope, I've just admired them as they grew. I reckoned that if they manage to get pollinated in the wild without me interfering, they'll probably manage it in my greenhouse!

Do I need to pollinate them? Told you, I'm totally new at this, so imagine you're talking to an idiot!

Depends how many bees you get on your plants and whether you want specific or random crosses. If you want some certainty you'll need to pollinate. Use a paint brush to dab some pollen onto each stigma - the little pointy bits around the edge of the style, I think there's 5 of them without going out and counting.

• Like 1

Depends how many bees you get on your plants and whether you want specific or random crosses. If you want some certainty you'll need to pollinate. Use a paint brush to dab some pollen onto each stigma - the little pointy bits around the edge of the style, I think there's 5 of them without going out and counting.

I'm not worried about the crosses, most of my Sarras are mixed hybrids of unknown origin anyway! I'm just interested in growing more plants  :laugh2:

Not seen any bees in the greenhouse, but then I haven't seen any around at all. Is it only bees that will pollinate them?

You'll have to wait until the autumn. The seed pod will turn brown and you can open them up to see if there are any seeds in there. Unless you saw a bumblebee in your greenhouse I wouldn't be too hopeful though!

OK, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed the boat.