CPS (UK) or ICPS (World)

For someone in the UK (and not the London bit) I was wondering if its worth joining the CPS or better joining the ICPS.  Or even neither or both?

The CPS doesn't seem to list much on their website and while the ICPS is obviously the International society it doesn't seem to offer much scope for inter-personal communication outside of the AGMs every two years.    I'm a member of another society for an 'obscure' hobby and find their meetings and bi-month magazine to be well worth it.  I've attended meetings in both London and Birmingham and its always nice to have that option of actually talking to real people and learning new things.  From what I've seen I'm not sure if this is something the CPS provides, but perhaps I'm wrong on that.  

<edit>

Also having someone to tell about my new Cephalotus would stop my other half moaning at me ;-)

Edited by Yunzi

Hi Yunzi,

Being International the ICPS doesn't have any meetings besides the conferences. We are not diveded in regional groups, like say the German society.

We do have an active facebook group and a webforum and of course a high quality newsletter (digital available including the current issue, older issues become open access and the info in the newsletters is ofcourse searchable) and a webpage with good information on several topics, but nothing like actual face to face meeting.

However, the things you ask on the facebookforum usually get a fast answer/response.

Cheers,

Marcel

Ok - I'll give the CPS and attend some meetings.

I'm very familiar with the B'ham botanical gardens and have some serious issues with them.  Keeping on topic - their carnivorous display was pretty terrible last time I was there (few months ago).

Edit - yes I know the plants would have been dormant - it was still pretty bad though.

Edited by Yunzi

Hi Yunzi

the CPS provides 2 full colour journals and (at least) 2 emailed newsletters each year year and our members host 15 to 20 open days.  We provide funding for conservation initiatives in the UK and overseas and cultivation advice to our members and more widely through our website at www.thecps.org.uk.  The Society has a stand at the NEC Gardeners World Show and, when invited, at the Chelsea Flower show.  We also have stands at other RHS events from time to time.

This year we are hosting the ICPS conference at Kew Gardens in August which will have some of the leading botanists from around the world talking about the latest research, conservation etc, Stewart Macpherson will be there and we hope that Sir David Attenborough will also attend.  Some of the leading growers from the UK and Europe will have plants for sale and in addition to the conference there will be lectures open to the public.

Hope you will give us a try.  You can join via the website.

best regards

Dennis Balsdon

CPS Membership Secretary

Having been a member of both for more years than I care to remember (over 30 for the CPS), I'd recommend joining both. Unfortunately, these days I don't get he time to attend open days like I once did, and every spare moment is dominated by the kid's social calendar, but it's far better to meet people and chat to them in person than in front of the computer!

You have the seed bank as well with the CPS.

Nigel HC