Perlite

most perlite in the uk is horticultural grade medium.you can get coarse grade but its not generally stocked by suppliers so can be quite a wait to get some

fine grade is only really useful for sowing seeds ect and taking cuttings ect into small plugs

Manders

I like the sound of the expanded glass, sounds similar to the stuff they sell for fish keeping filters, I suspect it is a lot more expensive than perlite.

Bux.

I have heard that, despite perlite being inert, the dust can be harmful if breathed. I rinse my perlite in water to remove the dust. Fill the sack o f perlite with water and then use a sieve to decant it into another container - a bit of a faff but no dust.

Phil

Manders

I like the sound of the expanded glass, sounds similar to the stuff they sell for fish keeping filters, I suspect it is a lot more expensive than perlite.

Bux.

Don't think it was much different to perlite in price, it's wast glass recycled after all, we are currently using it for semi-hydroponic orchids but next time I repot a nepenthe I'll probably use it mixed with peat.