Anyone built a B&Q greenhouse?

Richard recently posted about B&Q selling off their greenhouses, and I managed to get one. I started to put it up yesterday, but ran into some problems. I wondered if anyone else here had built one and could advise. I rang the helpline number on the instruction booklet, but there was just an answering machine, and they haven't returned my call.

It goes without saying that there's no point in ringing B&Q!

My main problem is working how to do the glazing. The instructions are obviously for polycarbon, but the greenhouse itself is supposed to take glass. I'm not sure how to work out which bit is which.

I'm also concerned about the piece over the door, as it doesn't seem to fit very well. I'd like to know if anyone else had the same problem.

Very frustrating! Was hoping to be pottering around in it by now!

I built my elite greenhouse and mine is all glass of cause its

all made in China now, the glass is not a very good fit there's

Lots of room for expansion I broke just one pain and had to

Replace with 3mm thick as the orginal were 2mm thick I think

Just make sure everything is square before tighten bolts etc

You know corner to corner tape measuring

Hello,

It was more a case of knowing which panes go where. I got glass packs, and they just say how many panes of each size they contain, but the instruction manual has numbers on the panes (which look different anyway).

Also, the pane for the skylight seems to need holes in, which would be a problem for glass.

How did you get around these?

Thanks

What size g/h have you got? The arrangement for the sides will be the same for all panels. Also the roof panels wil use similar sizes apart from the roof vent. If I remember correctly you have to glaze this before attaching to the roof. I've not constructed a B&Q g/h but have done one from Wickes. I'll let you know the sizes used on mine tomorrow.

Regards,

I think it's a matter of forget the numbers and fit the glass which

Fits in the same size Frame opening then as you get further

Down the line it should be easier to see what you got left

My skylights have a frame just for the glass then that

Frame fits into the greenhouse frame and you do need

To drill and bolt the frame but not in the glass,

It's dark now but tomorrow I will take some images

Of how my skylights fit in the greenhouse but yours

Might be different, of cause you might have the wrong

Glass pack for you greenhouse and someone else

Might have your pack, because really it's pretty easy

To were all the glass goes ?

The instruction manual said Palmar on it. I rang their helpline, which was just an answering machine, but they didn't return my call. Tried their web site as well, but could see a greenhouse that looked like mine.

Ho hum, no wonder it was so cheap!

Thanks for that. Unfortunately your glazing looks quite different from mine, so I'm not sure it will help.

I realised that I could possibly work it out by comparing the panes I have with what they sow in the instructions, but it's pretty hit and miss. I'm also not sure about the door panels, as one of them is a lot bigger than anything I have.

Thanks anyway.

have you any neighbours/friends with a greenhouse you can look at?

The bolt holes are usually pre drilled or fit into slots which are equi-distant along the length of the sides and ends and roof,you have the width of the glass so it can't be too hard to work out where they go.

The glass has small brackets which hang on the other panes of glass,the biggest or longest go at the bottom if they are different sizes working to the smallest at the top but they are normally the same size on the sides and end.

Get the frame together then worry about fitting the glass,its so frustrating its just a greenhouse!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

have you any neighbours/friends with a greenhouse you can look at?

No, none of them are into this sort of thing unfortunately.

The bolt holes are usually pre drilled or fit into slots which are equi-distant along the length of the sides and ends and roof,you have the width of the glass so it can't be too hard to work out where they go.

The glass has small brackets which hang on the other panes of glass,the biggest or longest go at the bottom if they are different sizes working to the smallest at the top but they are normally the same size on the sides and end.

The problem is that there are a lot of panes that are almost the same size, and I'm a bit reluctant to open all the packs and spread them out until I know where they are going.

I think what I need to do is work out how many panes of each size I have, then try to work out what goes where by a process of elimination.

It's just hugely frustrating that there is a helpline number on the instructions, but there is just an answering machine, and they haven't returned my call.

Get the frame together then worry about fitting the glass,its so frustrating its just a greenhouse!!!!!!!!!

The frame is basically done...

160320GreenhouseFrame.jpg

I haven't done the opening panel yet, as I'm not sure how the glass fit in. The instructions show holes in the four corners of the polycarbon pane, which isn't going to apply to glass. I haven't done the door either, as it looks like you need a pane about twice as long as any I have. With the exception of a few triangular ones, all of mine are basically square, but one door panel looks like it's supposed to be twice as long as it is wide.

Might leave the door until last, as I reckon I should be able to fit it in afterwards.

Thanks anyway, I'll just have to make it up as I go along!

• Like 1

Have a look on hear The Greenhouse People they have plenty of video's on how to assemble different greenhouses.

Thanks for that, it's a good idea.

However, one of my friends also got a B&Q clearance, and his included separate glazing instructions in the box. I've just scanned his and am going to print them out. Might finally be in business!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I have a 8' x 6' g/h from Wickes which looks very similar to yours.

Along each side are 4 panels for the glass. The glazing bars should have a rubber mounting inserted on their whole length. The glass then rest on this and is held in place by W clips. The side, front and back panes are all 610 x 610 mm in size. There are 2 in each side panel with the upper one overlapping the lower one by about 1cm. Obviously the roof apex section requires triangular shaped glass. The roof sections also consist of 2 off 610 x 610 mm panes again with a slight overlap (higher pane over lower pane).  When doing the roof sections install the higher panes first else you'll never be able to reach the last pane. Clips can be inserted using a ladder inside the g/h so you can reach over the glass.

Hope the following photos help.

gallery_5421_1030_355109.jpg

gallery_5421_1030_114612.jpg

gallery_5421_1030_114742.jpg

• Like 1

Yossu

Bad weather on its way this weekend hope you have bolted or screwed down the

Greenhouse and hope you sealed under the.frame I forgot to do mine so for ever

Using silicon inside and out to make a seal for rainwater getting in

Btw I have 4 auto Windows on mine 2 side and 2 roof they are

Very good helps release the over heating mine were open today

We had 15c with full sunshine

• Like 1

I have a 8' x 6' g/h from Wickes which looks very similar to yours.

Along each side are 4 panels for the glass. The glazing bars should have a rubber mounting inserted on their whole length. The glass then rest on this and is held in place by W clips. The side, front and back panes are all 610 x 610 mm in size. There are 2 in each side panel with the upper one overlapping the lower one by about 1cm. Obviously the roof apex section requires triangular shaped glass. The roof sections also consist of 2 off 610 x 610 mm panes again with a slight overlap (higher pane over lower pane).  When doing the roof sections install the higher panes first else you'll never be able to reach the last pane. Clips can be inserted using a ladder inside the g/h so you can reach over the glass.

Hope the following photos help.

Thanks for that, they were a help. I'm not sure it's exactly the same, but it's close enough to give me a good idea.

As I mentioned the other day, I managed to copy the glazing instructions from a friend, so I thought I would be able to get going today. Sadly even without the wind and rain, I was stuck. It seems that my greenhouse pack didn't include the Z-shaped clips to go between the panes, nor the W-shaped clips to hold the panes in place. To add insult to injury, I still can't work out how to glaze the door, as the metal pieces are designed to have a rectangular pane at the bottom, and I don't have a piece anywhere near that size. Finally, the pane that is supposed to go in the opening vent needs holes in each corner, and the glass (obviously) doesn't have that, so I can't put the vent together.

Very frustrating. The trouble is that B&Q are unlikely to have a clue, and will doubtless tell me to ring the manufacturers. However, their line just has an answering machine, and they don't return the message, so I don't see any way of sorting this.

Now I know why they were so cheap! Shame, I think I may have wasted the money altogether. Still, not giving up, going to try B&Q tomorrow (ha ha), and will see if I can get anywhere.

Bad weather on its way this weekend hope you have bolted or screwed down the

Greenhouse and hope you sealed under the.frame I forgot to do mine so for ever

Using silicon inside and out to make a seal for rainwater getting in

The frame is bolted down into the paving slabs that make up the base, so if we had winds strong enough to shift the greenhouse, I'd have bigger problems to worry about!

Was wondering about sealing under the frame. I forgot when he fixed it down, but I reckon I could squirt some sealant around the inside of the base which should keep the water and slugs out. I wouldn't use silicone though, as that doesn't seem to last too long outside. You can get exterior sealant that should last longer.

Thanks for the advice.

glad to see the hard work is done,just the glazing to do.

Ha ha, turned out not to be so simple. See my reply to linuxman.

We'll get there one day. I just hope I won't be too old to benefit from it!

I did use the time to repot some plants this afternoon. Been meaning to do that for a while, so it was good to get it done. I tidied up my CPs after their dormancy (such as it was with our mild winter) and after the disaster I had a while back. Managed to rescue a reasonable number of plants, but lost quite a few D. Capensis and D. Binata, and lost all of my seeds. The S. Purpurea don't look to healthy either, but we'll see if they recover.

Also split up a rather straggly Coleus that's been getting too big for a while. Bought it for £1 in a charity sale a few years back, and it keeps growing and growing. Had about 20 or 30 plants off it from cuttings so far! Here it is in its heyday...

TrustyRusty.png

It's not looking quite as colourful right now, but hopefully as we get more sunshine, and I start the feeding regime, the 12 plants I currently have from it will all grow like this! Not sure where I'll put them all, but I'll worry about that when I get there!

Anyway, enough waffle...

• Like 1

(Z-shaped clips to go between the panes, nor the W-shaped clips to hold the panes in place)

You can buy them separately

http://www.hallsgreenhouses.co.uk/Halls_AGL_Greenhouse_Accessories_and_Spares/

Make a big enough noise at B&Q and you might get some help I have always found them helpful

Edited by Deltatango301
  • Like 1

(Z-shaped clips to go between the panes, nor the W-shaped clips to hold the panes in place)

You can buy them separately

http://www.hallsgreenhouses.co.uk/Halls_AGL_Greenhouse_Accessories_and_Spares/

Ooh, thanks for that. Didn't realise they were so standard. I thought I was stuck between clueless B&Q and contactless Palmar (the manufacturer of the greenhouse). Bit annoyed at having to pay for something that should have been in the box, especially as it would cost quite a bit to get enough.

Forgot to mention that I didn't get any rubber seal to go around the frame either. Need some of that around every single pane. Ho hum.

Make a big enough noise at B&Q and you might get some help I have always found them helpful

Helpful, but fairly hopeless when it's not their product. It's made worse in this case as the greenhouses were being sold off, so they'll have even less interest in helping.

Anyway, we'll see. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see if I can get any joy. If not, I'm going to have to shell out for the stuff myself. Seems this cheap greenhouse is going to end up quite expensive. Ho hum.

Thanks again.

You could always take it back

Not after all this! I'm going to fight this one out to the end - fade in strains of Land Of Hope And Glory, stiff upper lip at the ready and the good old British spirit in hand!