D. (aff.) eremaea

Hi all,

I like to share some pictures of what is probably the least cultivated Drosera I grow (I think so since there are only a few photo's on the internet, and some of them show a somewhat different type of plant) and for sure it is the weirdest in my collection.

I have received one or two tubers about 5 or 6 years ago, labelled as D. macrantha.

This is how it starts: a roundish, white tuber (sometimes with some brown spots). If you look really carefully you can see that the surface is covered with small dimples (like a golf ball).

grab2015-05-18_19-38-49_010_zpstvvvtkvu.

It is usually one of the first tuberous species to appear in the season. First some sort of a rosette is formed and after that a scrambling stem emerges.

P1040423_zpsyqe7apun.jpg

First one leave per node, later often followed by a smaller lateral pair of leaves.

The plant grows quite rapidly reaching a length  max 50 cm in about 4 moths time. After that it more or less stops growing and is by  far the first of my tuberous Drosera to retreat.

P1020958_zpsq9npvt1a.jpg

P1040015_zps7bl7qurl.jpg

Nothing really strange so far. But sometimes it doesn't stay with just a lateral pair of leaves, and groups of 4 to 5 leaves are formed 

P1040040_zpsn3qcvxsf.jpg

The stem and the central petiole (mainly at the base) are covered with minute glands.

grab2014-12-29_13-27-26_883_zpspjogmsma.

Leaf with prey. The backside of these leaves are also covered with minute glands (though this season these glands seem to be absent, due to different growth conditions??).

grab2015-01-10_18-51-39_897_zpsqqdyjbno.

A view at the "rosette". If you look closely you can see some white "runners", it seems that small leaves emerge from it.

P1040031_zpsgsbk21pl.jpg

Unfortunately the plants have not flowered so far (maybe I should use a kind of ferilizer). Sometimes an additional tuber is formed.

John

Edited by johnvdw
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

thanks for sharing pictures of this species. I should be able to add flower pictures soon.

I find it interesting that you write that you observe sometimes the formation of an additional tuber. I actually got the impression that this species is quite good at forming extra tubers. However, I have years in which no plants appear at all and I fully agree that this is not an easy species, at least not for me.

Best regards

Dieter

• 10 months later...

Time for a short update for this topic.
My plants are doing very well this season, the new light set-up (LED's) will probably a role. I have some offspring (though no stolons like the typical D. eremaea), and the plants produced so far a lot of foliage: additional leaves (often an extra set of leaves per node) but also many, short, branches.

But most important: I finally had flowers from D. aff. eremaea

P1060266_zpszzq3m7xd.jpg

P1060314_zpsuhnaki0f.jpg

P1060316_zpsz4iyfg0u.jpg

The flower (ca 2 cm across) looks quite different from the regular D. eremaea.....

Edited by johnvdw