Cultivation instructions

iliasthess12

Happy new year to everyone here!! I recently obtained one plant of each the following Nepenthes species (Rebecca Soper, Linda and Luisa). Could someone give me some instructions about how to handle these plants? My only experience with Nepenthes are some classic ventrata nursery plants which for the time being are doing pretty well.

Thank you in advance!!

Στάλθηκε από το ONE A2003 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I'm not familiar with the other 2, but Rebecca Soper grows well as an intermediate and in less light than my other plants. It should do well in an eastern window or under lights. I grow it is a mix of coarse perlite, charcoal, and bark, and LFS, but it would likely do well in peat with about 60% perlite added. I keep it constantly damp and it needs/takes pruning, frequently.

Thank you for your kind answer. What about the temperature and humidity required for these plants? I currently grow my plants inside my home without using any kind of greenhouse or humidifier but I live in a Greek's island coastal area so temperature inside my home is about 18-25 C and humidity about 35-80% (daily minimum and maximum). I do not consider light as a problem even for this season here. Waiting for your help!

Στάλθηκε από το ONE A2003 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

My ambient humidity is quite high, at around 80%, but 60% and above should be fine, though there will be an adjustment period of lost pitchers and time before new pitchers are formed, if the grower before had higher humidity. 35% is pretty low, so you may need to take measures to raise the humidity, when it falls below 50-60%, but some Nepenthes can handle it lower. My temps are similar to yours. What are your outdoor parameters like? You'd probably have success outdoors.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Samos-1/forecasts/latest

I would say that the mentioned in this forecast days represent "mild winter" days here. The lowest point temperature may reach during winter is about 1-3 C at night and I would say that this happens rather rarely (usual lowest temperature during night about 6-8 C). I already grow outside on regular basis my Dionaeas and one Sarraccenia , is there any possibility for me to try with my Nepenthes plants also ? 

I think your Winter minimum temps would be too low. Most highland, intermediate, and lowland plants can handle a night drop, to 12-15C, even if they'd rather be warmer. The catch is that the daytime temps need to be warm, around 25-30C, though some highlanders don't want much above 25C. Hybrids are generally more tolerant, vigorous, and adaptable. I would suggest inquiring where you are getting the plants from, about the growing parameters there and try to replicate them, with small changes to acclimate them, over time. For example, you might repot them and place them under cover for 6-8 weeks to adjust, then vent the cover for a week, then half open the cover for a week, then remove the cover all together and see how they do. You might place a personal/room sized humidifier in the area where you will be growing and slowly dial it down, over a couple of months, to adapt them to lower humidity. Your indoor temps should be fine, but that 35% humidity will prevent them from pitchering. When the humidity or warmer weather returns, growing them outdoors should be possible, or indoors, if humidity is constantly around 60%, you will get pitchers, again.

• Like 1