Sheffield Drosera 2

Spurred on by Jaicens efforts on locating wild plants locally,i thought i'd give it a try.

First i followed his lead on a local bog at Bradfield.I must say i was surprised by the number of plants we found,there were hundreds!!!

SAM_7419_zpsnoz81ofb.jpg

SAM_7418_zps05wzz9tb.jpg

none were in flower or showing any flower spikes.

So with our first success we went on a hunch i had to another area

first we only found the wildlife

SAM_7411_zpsw91db7ao.jpg

then

SAM_7409_zpsduqqcf9e.jpg

SAM_7408_zpsrperkfin.jpg

plants were very few in number but they were there with

SAM_7405_zpsgbyqy9uu.jpg

SAM_7401_zps1vmlyeei.jpg

finally the real surprise!!!!!

SAM_7402_zpsyrpnjhth.jpg

SAM_7403_zpsobisbhpk.jpg

pings in the wild less than 5 miles from my front door,i'd never have guessed that.

A really good day exploring.

ada

• Like 6

Excellent find Ada, there used to be an area fairly near me where there were sundews.

I haven't been there for years but I must take a visit soon.

Was the area you visited in a nature park or offered some kind of protection, or was it just open land?.

Cheers Chris

Excellent find Ada, there used to be an area fairly near me where there were sundews.

I haven't been there for years but I must take a visit soon.

Was the area you visited in a nature park or offered some kind of protection, or was it just open land?.

Cheers Chris

Chris,they are on farmland on the moors with woodland close by which is grazed by sheep and cattle.The bog itself is protected by walls and fencing to stop anything getting in but totally wild, just a natural seepage area.

ada

Edited by ada

Amazing Ada, I can't believe you found these so close to our front doors, you have inspired me to have a hunt next time I'm out in the Peaks

Neither could i,i knew they where there somewhere but two site on my first attempt, with pings too.Beginners luck.

I spent some time in the meadow searching for the pings today. I did find them, but only the same three ada found, so I'm not hopeful for the future health. The bog seems to have some oily seepage from up high, which could be contributing to the loss of cps.

There are a fair few scattered d.rotundifolia colonies, some of which had some unopened flower buds so I will hopefully see them flowering soon. The pings had no flower stalks, they are about 45mm across so I guess they're vulgaris. I'm sure we'll both revisit the area over the summer, so expect more photos!

There's nothing better than finding CPs (and Orchids too of course!) in the wild.

Those Dactylorhiza maculata (Heath Spotted Orchid) are really nice too. I'm lucky to have many Dactylorhizas (mix of D.fuchsii, D.purpurella & D.maculata, and various hybrids and back-crosses between these) growing wild on my own land here in West Wales!

I'll have to go hunting for Sundews, Bladderworts, Butterworts & Orchids again soon!

Oops... but I forgot to add:

Thanks for the excellent pics Ada - a very nice find so close to home! I expect that D.rotundifolia occurs within 10 miles radius of me, but I have to travel further afield (35 miles) to see all 3 in one place. But you can't beat the good old Round-Leaved Sundew as a CP! :smile: And it's always a thrill to see them, and pics of them, growing in the wild.

Good luck in your and Jaicen and Daniel's search of your local patch.

Edited by AdamH

Oops... but I forgot to say, thanks for the excellent pics Ada - a very nice find so close to home! I expect that D.rotundifolia occurs within 10 miles radius of me, but I have to travel further afield (35 miles) to see all 3 in one place. But you can't beat the good old Round-Leaved Sundew as a CP! :smile:

Good luck in your and Jaicen and Daniel's search of your local patch.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back today for a look.There were actually six pings and the d.rotundiflora were forming their flower spikes,still a week or so away from flowering though.

Many more orchids were flowering this time,we had a hunt for more locations on the moor higher up but despite ideal habitat i didn't find any more yet,maybe next time.

ada

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Don't worry: if the roots are still in the earth, they can reboarn (I've seen wild P. Alpina do it!)... Other thing: 3 weeks ago I went to montain and the pings have the first hibernacula... I hope some of Your pings were asleep and You've don't see them;-)

i have been up a couple of time to the bog where the pings were.

I have seen nothing all season,so i doubt they have formed hibernacula.I know they were allowing highland cattle to graze the area over autumn/winter last year.

I saw lots of footprints early in the year when they should have been growing,so i'm thinking they have been either eaten or trampled.

The orchids weren't as good this year either,so has the cow thing had an adverse effect?

ada

Yes, that was my thinking too. The cows have had a dramatic effect on the area, it's very much broken up the ground and there's a lot of dung so it's likely that this, combined with the grazing has eradicated most of the interesting plants. I didn't see any of the purple orchids, and found just a few small D. Rotundifolia. I'm not sure what the 'land management' were thinking to be honest. 

They were supposed to be putting the cattle on Loxley and wadsley common to get it back to more like heath land like it was when i was a kid.

Its over grown with Birch trees,bracken and brambles now.They did poison the japanese knotweed but the dog walkers complained so the cattle got forgotten about.

Looks like someone with very little knowledge had a brain wave and it backfired big style.